Plugin and jail help before I swap over to unraid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecken

Dabbler
Need some help. I have been using freenas since 9.x. since FN 11 everytime I install plex sabnzb, cp, sickbeard. I can set them up as normal adding storage etc. Every 2 or 3 days now since I have been on 11.1 u5 they break i.e wont turn on or if they are on wont work correctly. I have all my permissions set correctly they just simple stop working. The GUI states they are not on and even through the cmd they are not working. Idk if it's a bug or something but I am heavily thinking about moving to unraid since they support docker and I have heard less about pluggin issues. I have been a big fan of freenas I even like corral(i might have been the only one that liked it haha). But I am not sure what else I can do to fix these issues. Any help would be much appreciated in working through this before jumping ship to unraid.

So with unraid I know I will lose my iops and speed unless with a cache device? Am I wrong with that statement? I know docker is alot easier to maintain than jails again am I wrong with that statement. Please any help so i dont swap to unraid but it feels like with all these issues its forcing my hand to swap to unraid

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Full hardware specs please.

Tecken

Dabbler
I have a skylake 6700 msi mb 24 gb of ddr4
3x2 Tb red wd drive
1x4 tb red wd drive

I.know you should have ecc but I have had this system for a while now and have never had these issues with 9.x

nojohnny101

Wizard
Have you tried rolling back? Does this fix the issue?

Tecken

Dabbler
I have attempted to roll back which doesnt fix the issue... that's why I attempting to reach out to the community to see if anyone has any ideas on what to.do next.

gt2416

Patron
How are you installing the plugins?

garm

Wizard
I know docker is a lot easier to maintain than jails again am I wrong with that statement. Please any help so i don't swap to unraid but it feels like with all these issues its forcing my hand to swap to unraid

”plugins” are a mess at the moment as they are on a EOL version of FreeBSD. Docker and Jails are completely different animals. If you have a graphical interface for loading and managing containers then maybe the learning curve is not that big of an issue. Jails are FreeBSD command line first and foremost. On top of that you have the FreeNAS “plugins” that gives you an GUI for some aspects of jails. With the new upcoming infrastructure for jails, the future for FreeNAS plugins are brighter.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So with unraid I know I will lose my iops and speed unless with a cache device? Am I wrong with that statement? I know docker is a lot easier to maintain than jails again am I wrong with that statement. Please any help so i don't swap to unraid but it feels like with all these issues its forcing my hand to swap to unraid
Don't talk about unraid here. This is not an unraid forum.
If you are having problems with these jails, it is a sure bet you are configuring something wrong. There have been significant changes from 9.x to 11.x

Tecken

Dabbler
Yea I get that I shouldn't be asking about unraid but look freenas isnt doing what it's supposed to do for me and there is a competitor out there that I'm sure the freenas community knows about. So sorry if offended you but I am not configuring the jails wrong at all.. sabnzb.. couchpotao and sickbeard like I said before all are working perfectly fine and then 2 or 3 days later they break stop turning on or if they are on they aren't accessible so it's not about my config of the plugins or jails its them in itself.

Don't talk about unraid here. This is not an unraid forum.
If you are having problems with these jails, it is a sure bet you are configuring something wrong. There have been significant changes from 9.x to 11.x

So I know that docker is coming to freenas but is it worth it to wait until it comes to freenas or since they are EOL should I not even use them at all to begin with and wait for docker support???

Tecken

Dabbler
”plugins” are a mess at the moment as they are on a EOL version of FreeBSD. Docker and Jails are completely different animals. If you have a graphical interface for loading and managing containers then maybe the learning curve is not that big of an issue. Jails are FreeBSD command line first and foremost. On top of that you have the FreeNAS “plugins” that gives you an GUI for some aspects of jails. With the new upcoming infrastructure for jails, the future for FreeNAS plugins are brighter.
Should I wait for the new Versions of the freebsd plugins to come to freenas to be using them at all??

garm

Wizard
I can’t decide that for you, the new jail infrastructure is in place. It’s just that it’s cli at the moment. Plugins as they are deployed leaves much to be desired, but with iocage it’s looking brighter. I don’t think we will see containers as replacements in the foreseeable future.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
all are working perfectly fine and then 2 or 3 days later they break
If they were working 'perfectly' they wouldn't stop after 2 or 3 days. I don't claim to know what is not working properly, but there is something that isn't working the way it should. I have had my FreeNAS with Plex jail run for months and the only reason they got restarted was to install a newer version of the software. It can work, but there is something wrong with your system.
If you are sure the software is configured correctly, lets look at the hardware.
What are you using to run this on?

Status
Not open for further replies.