Plex Won't Play My MKV Movies

rivey

Contributor
Just reinstalled my FreeNAS server and everything seemed fine. Then I logged into Plex from a browser on my desktop computer and I could play MP4 files but it won't play my MKV fillies.

Some info that could be useful.
The main system is described in my signature.
Jails and plugins are installed on a 500gig Samsung SSD drive. My media files are on my PlexMedia pool that is about 34TB. Of the 34TB, the media is using about 10TB. The mount points seem to be working fine as Plex is able to see the storage drives and will play any MP4 files but none of the MKV's. Is it possible that the drive that the jails are on is to small? What am I missing? Thanks, Bob Ivey

One other thing that I thought of, the Plex app that I can call up from my desktop plays the MKV's just fine.

Yorick

Wizard

rivey

Contributor

Yorick

Wizard
Obviously first find out whether that's the case. I am not the best person to ask about separate jail drives. I run mine from my main and only pool. I don't run anything that needs disk performance, all I have is Plex.

foggystone

Cadet
Don't know if you have solved it. There could be three reasons as follow. 1. There is an unaccepted 4K HEVC video. 2. There is an incompetent computer. 3. There is a very slow HEVC transcoding speed. Personally I lean on to the last one. Plex will automatically transcode 4K HEVC videos to 1080P via Plex Media Server instead of direct playback. Transocding is a CPU-intensive task leading to horrible performance to handle other tasks unless you have a sufficient CPU. Focus on CPU next time you run it. And there's a detailed article that illustrate the problem. Thought that might help.

Alex_Patrio

Dabbler
there was a similar problem, everything was solved by installing plex not on a static ip address but on DHCP