SOLVED Plex setup issues

felthamn

Dabbler
Good morning folks,

I am hoping that someone might be able to explain what is happening here as I am absolutely stumped. I have recently installed a new set of hard drives to the server and created a new Storage Pools called NAS2. I now have 2 pools called:

homenet - with a dataset called movies
NAS2 - created a new dataset called movies2

As a test, I copied over a couple of movies to the movie2 folder. I should say now that the Plex jail resides on the homenet pool. Now to test that all is well, I removed the mount point for the original movies folder, and then created a new mount point for the movies2 folder :

Source
/mnt/NAS2/Movies2

Destination
/mnt/iocage/jails/Plex/mnt/movies2

Restarting the jail goes without a hitch and Plex runs okay. The problem I have is when I go to add the /mnt/movies2 folder to the library. I can navigate to Plex (illustrated on add folder 1) and then navigate to /mnt/movies2 (as illustrated in add folder 2), the movies2 folder is greyed out.

I've been at this for hours, and I am completely stumped. Has anyone run into the same issue and did anyone work out how to fix it?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I should point out that I am currently running FreeNAS 11.2-U6

Attachments

• add folder 1.png
    add folder 1.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 564
  • add folder 2.png
    add folder 2.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 592

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
/mnt/iocage/jails/Plex/mnt/movies2
It looks to me like you missed a level...

/mnt/iocage/jails/Plex/root/mnt/movies2

Also, have you worked out permissions?

Fredda

Guru
The UID which runs the plex server in the jail has no rights for reading or entering that directory.
This is exactly the same like discussed here. You'll need to add that permission to the directory you mount into the jail.

Normally you would just do a chmod a+rX <folder>, but if this folder is also a SMB share for Windows please also
check this post. You'll need to use the setfacl command. (Or you could try to change the permissions from Windows)

felthamn

Dabbler
@sretalla and @Fredda Guys, that seems to have sorted it, thanks very much for the advice.

I only needed to add:

setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc:fd:allow /mnt/path/to/dataset

At the FreeNAS shell. What I didn't realise, and I apologise for this, was that this tweak was highlighted in the known impact's section of the 11-2 U6 notes. I have transcribed it below just in case anyone else has the same issue...

Known Impacts
The default ACL on new ‘Windows’ datasets was changed from:
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd:allow
everyone@:rxaRc:fd:allow
to:
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd:allow
everyone@::fd:allow
This means that world is no longer being granted read privileges by default on newly created SMB shares. If you need to add “read” to “world” on a newly-created dataset, you can run the command:
setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc:fd:allow /mnt/path/to/dataset

Last edited:

asjohem

Dabbler
I have the same problem. I tried setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc:fd:allow /mnt/path/to/dataset , but that only gave the user read permission to that folder, NOT the subfolders. How do I give allt the subfolders same permissions? And if I add folders later, do I need to do this everytime?

ChrisReeve

Explorer
This is stupid. I had the same problem as well, after reinstalling my freeNAS box after some upgrades, but I was able to solve it.

1. Mount the folder as usual, just like every single guide out there.

2. Go to your media folder in WINDOWS, right click, go to security, and give the proper rights to every user. In my case, that means giving the following rights, to the following users:

All: Read and Run, Show contents of folder, read.

The names are freely translated from norwegian, so they might differ slightly from you. Se my screenshot below.

Edit: There are proparbly many other, more elegant ways to give the correct users the correct rights, but this is how I did it.

Attachments

• Rettigheter ifm mounting av plex folder.PNG
    Rettigheter ifm mounting av plex folder.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 592

Fredda

Guru
I tried setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc:fd:allow /mnt/path/to/dataset , but that only gave the user read permission to that folder, NOT the subfolders. How do I give allt the subfolders same permissions?
This should do it, unfortunately there is no recursive flag for setfacl yet:
Code:
find  /mnt/path/to/dataset -type d -exec setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc:fd:allow {} \;

And if I add folders later, do I need to do this everytime?
You shouldn't need to, as you added :fd: to the ACL permissions, which will cause this ACL to be inheritet by newly created files and subfolders.