Plex server update - for dummies

otpi

Contributor
Now. To be clear: I'm the dummy... i.e. I tend to forget what the "how" by the time I need to update my plex server. I do not chase the latest builds, but update whenever I feel the version number has increased sufficiently. I have a plex pass, but still use the free version plugin from my original install.

This guide will serve as my notes. Other guides are more advanced. I want to keep it simple. May you find my notes useful.
  1. From the FreeNAS (11.2) UI, go to [jails]. Press the [...] to bring up your Plex server menu -> click on [shell]
  2. You are now conveniently logged in as root in your plex jail, i.e. you should see a terminal window with: root@<plex jail name>
  3. Type, hit enter and wait for each of the following two too finish: pkg update, pkg upgrade. Do read the text, but the correct answer is y to all questions. It is now updated.
  4. Restart plex service: service plexmediaserver stop, service plexmediaserver start.
That's it! Done in less than 60 seconds.

Note 1: There is actually a restart command: service plexmediaserver restart. The more you know.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I want to keep it simple.
You can simplify it further:
Type, hit enter and wait for each of the following two too finish: pkg update, pkg upgrade
Just do pkg upgrade; the former command isn't needed. pkg isn't apt. And as you've already found, you can do "restart" rather than the separate "start" and "stop" commands.

technoholic

Dabbler
  1. From the FreeNAS (11.2) UI, go to [jails]. Press the [...] to bring up your Plex server menu -> click on [shell]
  2. You are now conveniently logged in as root in your plex jail, i.e. you should see a terminal window with: root@<plex jail name>
  3. Type, hit enter and wait for each of the following two too finish: pkg update, pkg upgrade. Do read the text, but the correct answer is y to all questions. It is now updated.
  4. Restart plex service: service plexmediaserver stop, service plexmediaserver start.
That's it! Done in less than 60 seconds.

Thanks for this post. It works fine and I dont understand why some other posts indicated that using pkg commands is not recommended. Anyone have an idea when the GUI upgrade will work?