Plex - "Require authentication on local networks" setting not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

toroidalcode

Cadet
I have a FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 running the Plex Media Server plugin. (I've actually tried this with two versions, plexmediaserver-0.9.9.7.429-amd64 and plexmediaserver-0.9.9.12.504-amd64).

This box is on my college's network, where public IP addresses are given out via DHCP. Both the NAS and the plugins can properly connect and host content.

Plex (in the web app's settings) has an option to "Require authentication on local networks", so that if you try to login from any computer not on 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255 , it requires password authentication. This setting is under Settings > Server > Connect > Advanced.

When I enable this option on my Mac Mini (running PMS 0.9.9.14.531), I have direct access without login from my Mac, and access from other computer requires a password.

When I enable the option on the NAS, it properly logs the enabled setting, but then access is still allowed without passwords.

I think that this might have to do with how FreeNAS routes network traffic over the "epair" interfaces. Maybe all traffic appears to be coming from 127.0.0.1?

I don't have NAT enabled for this plugin, just an IP address and default router address.

Any ideas for why this isn't working?

UPDATE:
Installing plexmediaserver using pkgng and enabling authentication results in expected behavior

So this is a PBI-specific problem. Why could that be?

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
About a dozen things could be wrong. Are you sure there's nothing caching your credentials in the browser?

Also, if you like, Plex is extremely easy to set up from ports in a port jail. You could build it yourself, if you feel daring, in a portjail. Doing so would identify if this behavior is the same, or different, than the PBI behavior.

toroidalcode

Cadet
I'm pretty sure it's not a credentials problem, as I tried this on three different computers, one of which has never seen the NAS or the web application before.

I'm more than willing to try building and debugging this in a separate jail. Ideally, I'd like to fix the PBI problem, as all my content is already set up and imported in one of the plugins.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I would still suggest building Plex in a jail, just to test this access thing, if all else fails. You can build Plex and set it up and not give it any files/folders to work with, just to see how it handles that same access restriction being enabled or not. Plus, I bet it's possible to migrate your database over.

toroidalcode

Cadet
Alright, so I setup a portsjail, and installed plexmediaserver using pkgng. With this setup, requiring local authentication works as expected. Should I try building the ports version and seeing if that does anything different?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There was a Plex bug and building the port or installing the package got you a more recent version of Plex. This is why plugins are a hassle. Takes to long to get updates for software the is changing rapidly like Plex.

fpssp

Cadet
I have the same issue with the latest plugin. I tried editing the Preferences.xml file and all kinds of things before realizing there was a bug in the latest plugin version of Plex. I've never worked with pkgng and can't find a good example of installing plex on FreeNAS via pkgng. Does anyone have the commands you would need to perform from the shell, or a link to a guide? Or an ETA on the plex plugin update? I'd prefer to keep my existing database and jails setup if possible, but not the end of the world if not...

Thanks in advance!

fpssp

Cadet
Nevermind my last post, found an easier solution to fix the bug within the plugin version. Just add the following parameter into the Preferences.xml file:
DisableRemoteSecurity="0"

The file is located more or less in this path:
/mnt/pool/jails/plexmediaserver_1/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexd
ata/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml

Supposedly not having the setting in there is supposed to do the same thing (prompt for password), but I guess that's the bug.

Also make sure to enable the GUI setting "Require authentication on local networks" under Settings > Server > Connect > Advanced. I'm now prompted to sign in from laptops, iPhones, iPads, desktop, local/remote, etc.

Of course you can allow certain IP/devices to not require a password with the setting "List of networks that are allowed without auth" under Settings > Server > Network > Advanced. Now some devices I have given static IP's are not prompted and anyone else in the house tenants/kids etc would get the prompt for login.

Cheers!

Fry256

Cadet
Shouldn't really have your Freenas box on the college network anyway, I suggest a firewall or have a internal network.

Status
Not open for further replies.