Plex not working in 11.3 Beta?

indivision

Guru
I was able to install the Plex plugin in 11.3 Beta. However, something seems to be substantially different in the default installation compared to past defaults.

On the web server management screen, it says that there is a problem connecting to the server (see screenshot).

Because no server is connected, there are no options to add media, etc.

It seems to think that the "media server" version of Plex isn't even installed as there is a "Your Media" button that just directs you to the "Download Media Server" page (see screenshot).

Is this a permissions issue of some kind? Anyone able to get Plex to work on 11.3 that can give steps to fix?

Attachments

• freenas_plex1.PNG
    freenas_plex1.PNG
    947.8 KB · Views: 206
  • freenas_plex2.PNG
    freenas_plex2.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 199

indivision

Guru
I was able to fix this by turning "NAT" off (which is the default for the plugin).

So, the next question is, is there an advantage to using NAT for Plex? And if so, how do I get it to work?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
NAT doesn't make sense to use for Plex in the context of the FreeNAS server and jail relationship.

Usually what you want is that the jail has its own IP address and you redirect your public port to that IP on port 32400. (in that case, NAT is happening on your firewall/router for your public IP address, so creating double-NAT in FreeNAS on top of that is just silly).

indivision

Guru
NAT doesn't make sense to use for Plex in the context of the FreeNAS server and jail relationship.

Usually what you want is that the jail has its own IP address and you redirect your public port to that IP on port 32400. (in that case, NAT is happening on your firewall/router for your public IP address, so creating double-NAT in FreeNAS on top of that is just silly).

Got it. Thank you.

This is what I've done in the past. But, I've had a lot of streaming problems (even on wired connections) and the default setting in 11.3-Beta puts it on NAT (other plugins it does not). So, I thought there might be some advantage.

@dlavigne if deselecting NAT for this plugin is considered more standard, the defaults in 11.3-Beta may need to be adjusted.