Plex not scanning newly added media, only sees media after a system restart

mdownsxy

Cadet
Like said in the title, Plex is not seeing any movies I add while FreeNAS is up and running. It takes an entire system restart for Plex to then scan the added movies.

Dataset permssions:
permissions.PNG

Mount point:
mount_points.PNG

Proof of having new media added to the dataset and shown in the jail:
shell.PNG

Problem of Plex not discovering the new media, only showing the previous media (which was only found after a system restart):
plex.PNG

Is this a permissions issue?

Fredda

Guru
Is this a permissions issue?
Most likely not, otherwise they would not show up on reboot. Do you have automatic updates of the library enabled in the Plex config?
Do the movies show up after you select "rescan library" in the plex menu?
BTW, asking if it is permission related and posting the output of ls instead of ls -l is also a bad idea.

fracai

Guru
Automatic updates won't work with BSD plex as they only support that on Linux.
If they are also not showing up when you trigger a library scan you've got some other issue. My guess is they will show up as that is likely what is happening when you restart the system, which restarts the jail.
If it was a permissions issue I'd think you'd never see any media being added.
Plex does have an API you can use to trigger a rescan, but if you're manually adding files it should be simple enough to click the button in the Plex UI.
You can also set Plex to run periodic library scans on one of the settings screens.

Velcade

Contributor
You can also set Plex to run periodic library scans on one of the settings screens.
This is what I do. It works with FreeNAS. I have Plex run a scan once a week.

It sounds like you need to set up library scans in Plex. If you click on your 'movies' tab you can scan for files, do they pop up then?

snorklr

Cadet
A few years late but any chance you figured this out. I am having the exact same issue, when I add media it does not show up on a scan a quick restart and scan then shows it. I have been searching for a week or so and haven't found anything hoping to find it here. Thank you for any info in advanced.