Plex not able to stream video or download meta data

zdesigns

Dabbler
Hi this is my first time using FreeNAS and jails.

For some reason, I am not able to download any meta data on movies or tv shows and I am not able to stream any movies or tv shows from plex. I have tried reinstalling Plex and restarting the server... Any ideas as to what is wrong?

I've taken some screenshots of my Freenas setup:

My interface (Only use on for the moment)
Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 20.46.41.png

My global network
Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 20.47.03.png

My dataset (plexstorage)
Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 20.47.16.png

Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 20.47.38.png

Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 20.48.06.png

My jail mount point
Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 20.48.57.png

zdesigns

Dabbler
Update, I tried setting the jail to use DHCP and I can confirm that it now works. So somehow i f'ed up the static IP... Will update if I get it to work with static IP

What matters for plex is that the VNET option is turned on. Depending on the specific release of FreeNAS, that option may or may not show on the basic screen; go to the advanced options if needed. Also, the default value of VNET depends on the specific release.

Note that when you check DHCP, VNET is automatically activated, but when you uncheck DHCP you're on your own.

If you're on FreeNAS-11.2-U5, below is a screenshot of how it should look. Don't forget to enter the IP address of your router in IPV4 Default Route.

1566782659308.png

As an alternative, just use DHCP and logon to your router to set a DHCP reservation for the desired IP address.

zdesigns

Dabbler
What matters for plex is that the VNET option is turned on. Depending on the specific release of FreeNAS, that option may or may not show on the basic screen; go to the advanced options if needed. Also, the default value of VNET depends on the specific release.

Note that when you check DHCP, VNET is automatically activated, but when you uncheck DHCP you're on your own.

If you're on FreeNAS-11.2-U5, below is a screenshot of how it should look. Don't forget to enter the IP address of your router in IPV4 Default Route.

View attachment 32509

As an alternative, just use DHCP and logon to your router to set a DHCP reservation for the desired IP address.

Okay, I was not aware that VNET is required for Plex, since I read on some forum posts, that disabling VNET solved their issues. I will try and set a static IP again and keep VNET turned on.

Viva_La_Laho

Dabbler
Hello,

i have exact the same issue!
I tried the hint with VNET activiation. After activiation i cant reach plex server anymore.
So i have tried various settings in jail options. but it do not work.

After that i have tried DHCP Mode - and it works fine. Any clue why it dont work with a static ip Adress?`does i have to configure anyspecial?

got a Networkt 10.0.0.0 with 24 Subnet Mask

I am no Pro on this area, maybe the IP v4 default route is important? What should i fill in?

Randall_64

Dabbler
Hi everybody,

To install FreeNAS 11.3 RC2 (or newer) Plex plugin with static IP address:
These notes are not scientifically proven but reproducible for myself to create a PMS.

Create user ‘plex’ with ID 972 at Primary Group ‘wheel’. The Plex plugin allways uses this username in it’s jail with corresponding userid. You need this user at the next step.

At the Dataset where the media is located, choose edit ACL.
Under File Information choose User -> plex and Group -> wheel
Check Apply permissions recursively
Confirm, Continue, Save.

Install Plex plugin with DHCP settings. Just enter the name of the jail and there you go. Just accept DHCP because static IP address is not possible initially to get it right. You can change the IP config later to static IP. The Plex plugin with it’s jail will be started after install automatically.

Stop the Plex jail
Edit the Plex jail

Basic properties:
· Uncheck DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4
· Leave VNet checked
· LeaveBerkely checked
IP4 interface: leave ----------------
IP4 address: (free IP address for your jail)
IP4 netmask: (your netmask)
Default router: (your gateway)
· Leave Autostart checked

Jail properties:
· Check Allow raw sockets

Network properties:
· Leave all unchanged

Custom properties:
· Leave all unchanged

Save settings
Start the jail to check if it’s working

If yes:
Stop the jail again
Create mountpoints
Start the jail

Now you’ve created the dependencies for the Plex web gui. At this gui you can create your media entrances without errors ‘no soup for you’ or ‘no items available.

Regards, R.

Viva_La_Laho

Dabbler
One thing. What are the mounting points do? I think i understand the rest but for what are the mounting points?

Randall_64

Dabbler
Hi Viva,
Mountpoints are the links in the jail to the media files on your Freenas. The jail can not directly connect to your media files and therefore you have to create mountpoints. The Plex gui will connect to these mountpoints when adding libraries.

1580069637828.png

Viva_La_Laho

Dabbler
Hi Viva,
Mountpoints are the links in the jail to the media files on your Freenas. The jail can not directly connect to your media files and therefore you have to create mountpoints. The Plex gui will connect to these mountpoints when adding libraries.

View attachment 35250
Ok thanks, for your explaination.

I am following your older post before next week. I will follow step by step.

But i can't see any difference to my config right now. I had to set user access rightsby hand. Permissions for Plex folders where 1000 as user and 1000 as group. I change group to Chris. Thats my main user for all shares. So i think its no permission issue (especially plex works well when i have DHCP activitaded).

I realy preciate your tips. I am going to try out next week.