Plex Mount point issue

metalhusky

Dabbler
I figured it out, it now works without executing command line.
If
Storage > Pools > Dataset : permissins is set to Unix and i open all, then it works.
I tried excluding "Write" from "Other", works, but "Read" is important to PLEX, not surprising, but also "Execute" is important, i guess to transcode?
But not everything appears to work!

*EDIT*
OK, "Other" "Write" is also needed. otherwise the library can't be scanned.

Finally!
JSLXn5BTxf.png

Last edited:

techwilee

Cadet
I FINALLY found MY Solution...

In windows I had to give the folder the plex permission (the one that is set up for the dataset see example below).
1571369468126.png

Then in Windows Explorer Right click on the drive (in my case I have it mapped to P:) and choose "Properties" then click the "Security" tab, then "Edit" and add the user you set for the dataset with full permissions.
1571369720381.png

Hope this helps someone...

Ruu

Cadet
Hi All,
I am a newbie so I am jumping in on this thread for help on similar issues to already stated.
Well I am unable to get my system up and running with Plex, everytime I try the desired folder for selecting in Plex is greyed out?
I may have to setup from scratch again, not really an issue but I need to try to understand and at the moment its going right over my head.
Any help appreciated.
Regards,

dsmith00

Cadet
Hello RUU, I also have had the same problems as everyone else. I finally figured out a solution and made a video on how I fixed Plex. Keep in mind it was late and I was tired when I made this video but it's only about 10 minutes long. I hope it helps resolve your issues.
https://youtu.be/Fhu7xhi_kUI
-david

Reactions: Ruu

Ruu

Cadet
Hi David,
Thank you very much for your very informative video, yes it has helped me, I can now see the folder I created for Plex to stream from and I am able to use this to access in Plex setup.
One other question I have should I have created this and then added av files afterwards, currently all my files are already in the folder so it means I have to change ownership on each file or am I missing something else?
Thanks again,
Andy

dsmith00

Cadet
When you're in Plex and scan the library files you don't see the contents? Have you tried adding a file since you changed ownership? You can try looking at your share folder permissions through Windows Explorer and by right clicking each folder (not individual files), selecting properties, then security, and see if the user you created has full control... I'm assuming you're using Windows.

If you still can't get it to work, I will set up my virtual machine and see if I can simulate what your experiencing. Can you post some screenshots of your permission settings for your data set and shares? Heck, how about making a video of what's going on and posting the link? If you Google OBS (open broadcaster software) you can download free software to create videos.

-david

Ruu

Cadet
Hi David,
Well I think its working all ok, again I used your method of changing ownership, this time I changed ownership of directories and files using command chown -R :plex ..
I had to enter each folder and check, some files and directories had changed ownership to plex some hadn't so I changed them manually but it wasn't many than hadn't changed.
Thank you again for your help without your online video I would still be pulling my hair out trying sort this and I would not have got to this point for sure.
andy

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
You're executing that command at the root level, that's why it's not working. Enter the jail shell jexec plex csh and run chown -R plex:plex /NAStorage. That will give plex ownership of the mount point you created inside your jail.
Code:
root@plex-plexpass:~ # jexec plex-plexpass csh
jexec: jail "plex-plexpass" not found

This happens even at root@freenas as well.

Code:
chown -R plex:plex /media

Running this allows Plex to access, but it changes permission on data set removing user and group, breaking SMB.

EDIT: I also tried following the video David posted. after I change group I can no longer access SMB share.

Last edited:

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
Ok. I finally figured it out for me to keep using SMB in Windows.
I had to run chown -R plex:1000 /media, I am then able to login in to share on Windows using user name and password corresponding to the Group ID 1000. So Plex has access to files this way and I can still access SMB Share.

Edit: I still have to run chown -R plex:1000 after transferring the files to set permissions for new files.
users.png
Edit 2: I added plexuser to permissions and then ran chown -R plex:plex /media. This allowed SMB access. I still have to run chown -R plex:plex /media each time I add a new folder. The permissions given to the copied folder is user - plexuser (This is user I am signed in to the share) and group - plex. Plex will not find new library items unless the user is set to plex which does not happen for new folders added to the share.

Last edited:

Lariss1954

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to the forum and to FreeNas that I'm trying out to know if it's going to be the replacement for my old NAS and I'm not off to a good start !

I'm trying to do the same thing as subasically and I have the exact same problem except it still does not work even with his workaround.

Could somebody help ?

Thank you
When a jail or plugin is created there is a directory within the jail called /media, it is empty. When creating a mount point for my Plex library I use this directory as the jail target for subdirectories of the library. So my destination mount points are ....../media/movies, ......media/tvshows, etc.

Each of those subdirectories have a dataset on my main pool which are the source mount points.

After I have created the mount points I enter the shell of Plex jail and enter the command “chown -R plex:plex /media” without the quotation marks.

When adding a library in the Plex GUI it is not possible to browse to the /media directory so you must manually type the path to your subdirectory, for example /media/movies.

In addition the full path to you destination mount points will be ... iocage/jails/plex/media/...

I hope this helps.
I had the problem of grayed out files (movies) in Plex after moving the mount point with FreeNAS GUI in windows. Turned out to be windows permissions were reset for user everyone wiping out read,write etc .I just re-enabled them for user everyone and movies no longer greyed out. For a test moved mount point again and had to redo windows permissions again for user everyone to get movies to appear (not greyed out) in Plex Plugin. Don’t know if this helps took me 3 days to find moving mount point changed permissions.

Jeff Groh

Cadet
So this is because you have set up a dataset each for /media and then the underlying subs /media/movies, /media/tvshows..
You can't traverse across datasets when directory listing in this situation;
For example in the /media dataset, if you were to create subdirectories xxx and yyy, then upon listing /media you would see /media + /media/xxx + /media/yyy because they are subs within the same dataset. You would NOT see /media/movies or /media/tvshows, because they themselves are the root for their own dataset.
In this instance you have to create mount points for each dataset and refer them accordingly.
My setup is similar, I have /mnt/vol1/Media/Movies and /mnt/vol1/Media/TV_Shows which have targets of /mnt/Plex_Media_Movies and /mnt/Plex_Media_TV_Shows accordingly. Your films etc will of course be in normal subdirectories, and thus accessible from your mount point.

I too have a similar setup, but I have added a second dataset do to running out of space. In my case I have /mnt/Media/Movies & /mnt/Media2/Movies which have a destination of /mnt/Movies. When I look into the destination folder it is only adding one source or the other, but not both. I am trying to avoid having 2 Movies folders on the Plex server. Any ideas?