Plex Mount point issue

Pieter371

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have previously installed Plex and got it running without any issues. Everything was fine up until my power supply blew and lost my HDD's. Now I got everything back online and running, Plex is installed without issues. But when I want to mount my media, the File is grayed out.

I watched the FreeNAS 11.2 - Plex Media Server Plugin YouTube video to make sure I did not stuff something up but everything is sort of the same, except the folder and files naming on my side. I have watched multiple videos but still have the same issue.

I think that there is something small that I am missing but cannot figure out what is going on with this.

Attachments

• Plex Mount issue.PNG
    Plex Mount issue.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Plex Mount issue jails.PNG
    Plex Mount issue jails.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Plex share.PNG
    Plex share.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Plex pool.PNG
    Plex pool.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,076

subasically

Cadet
I am having this exact issue but I didn't have a power failure. It is a new build and my first time using FreeNAS.

I really hope someone has some answers.

subasically

Cadet
Ok so I figured out my issue! I hope this helps you too!

I accidentally stumbled upon by just trying a lot of different ways. I had to create a mount points. I don't know why that worked but it did!

I like FreeNAS but the UX needs some work. Maybe they need to use something like intro.js to explain areas of the OS better.

Here is my setup
1569638966628.png
1569639062527.png
1569639232955.png
1569639197879.png

Pieter371

Cadet
Thank you, I will try it on my side. But looks like I am having other issue with the machine.
Will let you know if I got this sorted.

Thanks bud.

Francis_37

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to the forum and to FreeNas that I'm trying out to know if it's going to be the replacement for my old NAS and I'm not off to a good start !

I'm trying to do the same thing as subasically and I have the exact same problem except it still does not work even with his workaround.

Could somebody help ?

Thank you

Pieter371

Cadet
Hi Francis.

I actually read somewhere that the issue is with with the user that plex use to access the folder, If you follow some of the steps you will see that they create a user and that user they give folder rights Read,Edit and something, I am unable to tick the middle box on the user and wonder if that is not the issue.

Francis_37

Cadet
Hello Pieter,
I thought that at first but I checked and the only user I can the in the jail settings for Plex is root, and it has access to the Dataset I created for plex medias.
If plex creates a user then what is this user ?
I'll try to get some info.

Thank you.

Francis_37

Cadet
It finally works and here how I did it, for an obscure reason, I could not select folders created into my share like movies and TV shows for instance.
Si what I did was to create two other pools into my Plex pool, like this
1.png

Then went to the Jail and set two mount points like this :
2.png

It might work wit one mount point, this one being the principal pool but I've not tested it, I think It should work, if someone tries it would be nice to leave the info for future reference.

Thank you and goodnight (it is night time here in France, good day or good evening for people around the world ;) ).

metalhusky

Dabbler
I've been fucking around for 4 hours with it today, i just can't make it work. The last folder that the videos actually go into is always greyed out.

firsway

Dabbler
I've been ****ing around for 4 hours with it today, i just can't make it work. The last folder that the videos actually go into is always greyed out.
What are the permissions to the mounts? Can you shell into the jail, cd to the /Plex Media Server/Library directory, and then run ls -l, post the output?

mccann73

Dabbler
Guys, first thing, and i will admit its been a little while since I have used Plex, but why are you creating multiple mount-points for the same media folder? I just add the my media folder as a single mount point, then I can add individual directories within the media folder (movies, tv shows) using plex.....

firsway

Dabbler
Guys, first thing, and i will admit its been a little while since I have used Plex, but why are you creating multiple mount-points for the same media folder? I just add the my media folder as a single mount point, then I can add individual directories within the media folder (movies, tv shows) using plex.....
Possibly they want separate datasets so that they can be more granular with things such as snapshots? Good question though

silverback

Contributor
When a jail or plugin is created there is a directory within the jail called /media, it is empty. When creating a mount point for my Plex library I use this directory as the jail target for subdirectories of the library. So my destination mount points are ....../media/movies, ......media/tvshows, etc.

Each of those subdirectories have a dataset on my main pool which are the source mount points.

After I have created the mount points I enter the shell of Plex jail and enter the command “chown -R plex:plex /media” without the quotation marks.

When adding a library in the Plex GUI it is not possible to browse to the /media directory so you must manually type the path to your subdirectory, for example /media/movies.

In addition the full path to you destination mount points will be ... iocage/jails/plex/media/...

I hope this helps.

silverback

Contributor
Shell command from previous post

chown -R plex:plex /media

firsway

Dabbler
When adding a library in the Plex GUI it is not possible to browse to the /media directory so you must manually type the path to your subdirectory, for example /media/movies.
So this is because you have set up a dataset each for /media and then the underlying subs /media/movies, /media/tvshows..
You can't traverse across datasets when directory listing in this situation;
For example in the /media dataset, if you were to create subdirectories xxx and yyy, then upon listing /media you would see /media + /media/xxx + /media/yyy because they are subs within the same dataset. You would NOT see /media/movies or /media/tvshows, because they themselves are the root for their own dataset.
In this instance you have to create mount points for each dataset and refer them accordingly.
My setup is similar, I have /mnt/vol1/Media/Movies and /mnt/vol1/Media/TV_Shows which have targets of /mnt/Plex_Media_Movies and /mnt/Plex_Media_TV_Shows accordingly. Your films etc will of course be in normal subdirectories, and thus accessible from your mount point.

metalhusky

Dabbler
I've tried doing many things, followed video tutorial, read what people write here, at this point i dont really care about structure, i just want at least one movie to be scanned, there is one 1 GB file there as you can see, i'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.
But it just doesnt work, no matter what i do.

Keep in mind, i am a complete n00b to NAS in general and FreeNAS speciffically.
I am on Windows. (if you say i should use Linux, you can stfu right away, i hate poeple like that, i use Manjaro often, but i am mostly a Windows boy)

I just don't get it, maybe, i don't know, i gave all the permissions, i enebled SMB, i tried different Jails.
And the last folder in "destinations" is ALWAYS greyed out in PLEX when, when i change the "destination" inside of the jail, the original destination is awailable all of the sudden, but then new one turns grey.

UrSOfMUlIn.png

aGYaZv7KaW.png
y2N0A35B5U.png

mccann73

Dabbler
When creating a single mount point, Silverback was correct, plex cant browse to individual folders when you try to add a folder, it can see them and access them, just for some reason you cant add it using the GUI, so you have to add manually, ie \media\Movies. I have been meaning to log a ticket on this, because on the older versions of Plex/Freenas you were able to do it, not sure if its a plex or jail/freenas issue?

metalhusky, that looks like possible permission issues, the jail does not have access to the NAS storage dataset (What permissions have you set on the Dataset), have you tried what silverback suggested - "I have created the mount points I enter the shell of Plex jail and enter the command “chown -R plex:plex /media” without the quotation marks."

PS When i built my sytem about 5 years ago, i had similar issues with plex and transmission, I have only really worked in the windows environments I had to do some study on how permissions worked in freenas before I was able to work it all out! If I have time this weekend I will reinstall plex and create a new dataset and see if I can reproduce your issue.....

Cheers

metalhusky

Dabbler
Am i understanding this right, he said: "...I enter the shell of Plex jail..."

Like i did there, but it says, no such file or directory.

Or am i being a retard again?

Damn, is there an alternative to FreeNAS that has an easier setup to PLEX, all i want is to have my Movies on the nas, so that i can watch them on my samsung tv, without turning on my powersucker of a main PC.

R8357OxUUd.png

metalhusky

Dabbler
OK, i was able to scan a movie!
BUT
only when i opened the datasets permissions weide open setting ACL Type on UNIX.
But now i can access it from Windows to add more movies... so i have to change it to windows, move all my stuff there and change it back to UNIX?
Do i have to do it every time?

Setting permissions through "chown -R " didn't work as you can see.
5cCpXK7q6x.png
m1XPF4nsjY.png

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Am i understanding this right, he said: "...I enter the shell of Plex jail..."

Like i did there, but it says, no such file or directory.

Or am i being a retard again?

Damn, is there an alternative to FreeNAS that has an easier setup to PLEX, all i want is to have my Movies on the nas, so that i can watch them on my samsung tv, without turning on my powersucker of a main PC.

View attachment 33287
You're executing that command at the root level, that's why it's not working. Enter the jail shell jexec plex csh and run chown -R plex:plex /NAStorage. That will give plex ownership of the mount point you created inside your jail.