Plex Media Server Plugin Video

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
We've released a new how-to video about setting up Plex for beginners. You can check it out below.

Let us know what you think! Are there any tips you would add for a newcomer to Plex?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are there any tips you would add for a newcomer to Plex?
Besides skipping the plugin and installing it in a standard jail? ;)

diedrichg

Wizard
Are there any tips you would add for a newcomer to Plex?
Don't use Plex! Especially with all the changes going on with the software and their monetizations they are adding in. Go with Emby, watch YOUR media the way YOU want.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Video looks good. I didn't see anything missing that I could think of.

Jatrabari

Contributor
Don't use Plex! Especially with all the changes going on with the software and their monetizations they are adding in.

To what are you referring to? Emby also has Premiere option which costs almost the same as Plex Premium...

danb35

Hall of Famer
What is the benefit of this?
Files in standard locations and easier upgrades would be my vote.

I understand having a plugin for Plex, as an awful lot of FreeNAS users use it. But installing it manually, once the jail is created, is simply a matter of pkg install plexmediaserver; sysrc plexmediaserver_enable="YES"; service plexmediaserver start. That's it. So simple a caveman could do it. And all the plugin does is save you from typing those commands. The hard part (configuring storage, setting permissions, setting up the libraries in Plex, etc.) all has to be done manually, even with the plugin.