Plex and already watched Items

csearle

Contributor
Hey guys I'm hopping someone can help me here, I have a small project.

Id like to update from a thumb drive to a SSD for my boot, & then update from 11.2-u6 to 11.3-U1 Id like to find the database for Plex that keeps the already watched items for my library, & migrate over to the SSD update.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That data is in your jail. No need to do anything with it if you're just reinstalling or upgrading.

csearle

Contributor
My plan was to, a fresh install of Freenas on the SSD

Yorick

Wizard
The metadata are kept in your jail. Unless you changed the defaults, your jail lives in /mnt/MYPOOL/iocage. You can see that in the UI under Storage -> Pools.

Changing boot doesn't do anything to those metadata. Restore your configuration and you are back up and running.

Now, if you want to move the plex data out of the jail itself, so you can reinstall the plex jail at some point without losing metadata, there is a thread that discusses moving the data to an outside dataset and then setting a mount point. That can be useful, for example if you want to move from plugin to "plain jail", or if the plugin has major issues and you want to reinstall it.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hey guys I'm hopping someone can help me here, I have a small project.

Id like to update from a thumb drive to a SSD for my boot, & then update from 11.2-u6 to 11.3-U1 Id like to find the database for Plex that keeps the already watched items for my library, & migrate over to the SSD update.
You can't store data on your boot device.

csearle

Contributor
Thanks everyone for you inputs

ornias

Wizard
Now, if you want to move the plex data out of the jail itself, so you can reinstall the plex jail at some point without losing metadata, there is a thread that discusses moving the data to an outside dataset and then setting a mount point. That can be useful, for example if you want to move from plugin to "plain jail", or if the plugin has major issues and you want to reinstall it.
Instead of "figure it out yourself", there are also the solutions by Pentaflake and myself:

Current version of my own work is, more or less, loosly based on Pentaflake, next version includes some more significant changes. But considering I spend DAYS on the work of Pentaflake, I can vouch 100% for his work.
PentaFlake did some good thinking and design when it comes to finding a good strucuture to seperate application data and the actual jail.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Instead of "figure it out yourself", there are also the solutions by Pentaflake and myself:

Current version of my own work is, more or less, loosly based on Pentaflake, next version includes some more significant changes. But considering I spend DAYS on the work of Pentaflake, I can vouch 100% for his work.
PentaFlake did some good thinking and design when it comes to finding a good strucuture to separate application data and the actual jail.
I don't understand why there things exist. Install an application in a jail takes 30 seconds and 2 cmds. Why is everyone automating this?

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
I don't understand why there things exist. Install an application in a jail takes 30 seconds and 2 cmds. Why is everyone automation this?
Pentaflake's guide is not automation, it's a list of the minimal required commands to have a solid install with seperated configuration/application dataset. It's not possible to turn it into a script 1-to-1.

What this proves is the fact you are wrong.
It takes more than 2 cmd's and 30 seconds at the very least, and thats excluding things like dataset creation.

an easy jail like plex with a seperated config/application dataset is about 10-or-so commands.
Lets asume all jails are this easy (it isn't, look at nextcloud for example), with 15 jails that 150(!) commands. Thats a whole different story.

*edit*
Maybe I was being a little unfair, lets give you a chance:
Why not prove your point to me me and show the two commands (and don't go stacking things like && || ) to:
Configure a plex plugin, with an external dataset for its application data and custom certificate generation.

Last edited: