Plex access to media folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
I have finally gotten plex running in iocage, and have come across a new issue. For some reason, the plex jail cannot get to my shared media which is owned by root:wheel. If I change the owner of the media to plex:plex, then the plex server can see the files. I do have the plex user and group created in freenas, both with ID 972. The user is also assigned the auxiliary group wheel.

Any suggestions on how I would diagnose what is happening here?

Thanks

garm

Wizard
There are plenty of threads already on service users and permissions. I suggest you search a bit

Michael De Cou

Explorer
I have been, with no luck. As noted, the user and group for the plex jail is plex:plex, both with ID 972. I have that same user/group and ID on my host, with the user also having aux group wheel, which is the owner of the media. The only way I am able to get plex to see the media is by changing the media permission to be owned by plex:plex. If you are aware of a thread on this, please share.

thanks

Michael De Cou

Explorer
Still no luck with this. I am wondering if there is a change with iocage jails where the user within the jail (user "plex" in my Plex jail) is not getting the user rights as defined on the Freenas host.

The user in the plex jail is "plex" with UID 972
The user group in the plex jail is "plex" with GID 972

I have created the same on the freenas host. For the user "plex", I have added "wheel" as an auxiliary group.

The media folder and all contents are owned by user root and group wheel. For some reason, the plex jail cannot see the media unless i set permissions to 775. My goal is to set the permissions to 770, but that blocks plex from seeing the media.

I have been digging around and found some references to similar problems among others, but have not found a fix. Also, when I had plex running in a warden jail, all worked as expected.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Zwck

Patron
Hi, delete your plugin jail

Before you start figure out what the UID and GID is that owns your media dataset, than follow these easy steps.

#iocage plugin super easy
#open a shell
Code:
iocage fetch --plugins ip4_addr="igb0|192.168.0.112/24"

#type 13 enter and plex with plexpass will be installed (if you choose not to use the plexpass option hit 12 and delete the _plexpass

Code:
iocage console plex
service plexmediaserver_plexpass onestop
pw groupmod plex -n plex -g 1000 #1000 is my UID and GID
pw usermod plex -n plex -u 1000 -g 1000
chown -R plex:plex /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass
service plexmediaserver_plexpass onestart

# open a new shell
#add YOUR MOUNTS mounts...
Code:
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/volume01/multimedia /multimedia01 nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/volume02/multimedia /multimedia02 nullfs rw 0 0