PHP module missing, how to install(bcmath gmp)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I wish i had more practical knowledge on freebsd and the commands but i don't, one of the reasons i install stuff using the plugins, of which my expectation would be that they just work. If this is not the case, what's the point in the first place?
Well the Nextcloud plugin does work. The modules Nextcloud reports as missing are not in any way essential. The required PHP modules tend to change from one Nextcloud version to the next, so the maintainer probably just overlooked these when he/she did the update. It's open source and even with a company like iXsystems behind the base system there are still areas that are a volunteer or a sponsored effort. The plugins are on Github. You are free to submit a pull request.

I do not intend to sound snarky. To phrase it differently: the product for which iXsystems take all the responsibility is FreeNAS. The plugins are icing on the cake and the regular caveats for open source solutions apply. Powerful, free, but best with a little bit of knowledge and engagement.

I never use the plugins precisely for that reason. I am a grey-bearded old sysadmin, so whenever I need X on my FreeNAS I spin up a jail and then install X the way I like it. With Ansible nowadays. The plugins exist to give users with less experience an opportunity, but please don't expect perfectly polished results. Even if FreeNAS was a paid system, a click-ready-to-run Nextcloud would probably not be part of the package.

HTH,
Patrick