Pheran's 80TB FreeNAS Build with photos: Kaby Lake Edition

adrianwi

Guru
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered all the parts of my new FreeNAS box :D

Pretty similar setup and I ended up going down the WD route as I managed to pick up some 8TB external drives for half the price of the equivalent reds. I still don't know if these will work using the standard SATA power cables, but if not I'll just buy a couple of Molex to SATA cables.

If I have the time, I might start a similar thread and document some of the pitfalls I'm sure to find...

Pheran

Patron
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered all the parts of my new FreeNAS box :D

Pretty similar setup and I ended up going down the WD route as I managed to pick up some 8TB external drives for half the price of the equivalent reds. I still don't know if these will work using the standard SATA power cables, but if not I'll just buy a couple of Molex to SATA cables.

I like this guide on modifying SATA power cables to avoid the power disable problem. I've already done this one 1 of my 8 connectors; I'll have to do the rest if these new WD Gold drives I'm going to install have this problem.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I like this guide on modifying SATA power cables to avoid the power disable problem. I've already done this one 1 of my 8 connectors; I'll have to do the rest if these new WD Gold drives I'm going to install have this problem.

Thanks. That is great info. Any way you could upload your photos directly to the forum? Too many times these sorts of things disappear after a while and it ends up being a dead link.

Pheran

Patron
Thanks. That is great info. Any way you could upload your photos directly to the forum? Too many times these sorts of things disappear after a while and it ends up being a dead link.
Those SATA power cable ones aren't mine, that's someone else's guide. But maybe you are referring to the FreeNAS photos; I could certainly look into that. I didn't even know you could upload photos directly to the forum.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Those SATA power cable ones aren't mine, that's someone else's guide. But maybe you are referring to the FreeNAS photos; I could certainly look into that. I didn't even know you could upload photos directly to the forum.
If you get a chance to take photos of your own for the SATA power issue. No pressure. You should be able to paste photos directly into your post. The new forum software works pretty nice.

Pheran

Patron
I'm absolutely thrilled to report that I just installed the first of the WD Gold 14TB drives and they do not implement SATA power disable, which means I won't have to hack up the rest of my SATA power connectors. That will save a lot of time.

WD Gold 14TB.jpeg

Pheran

Patron
Finally finished resilvering the last drive swap - new year, new storage!

Before:
Code:
# zpool list
NAME           SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
freenas-boot  28.2G  3.92G  24.3G        -         -      -    13%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
megadata      72.5T  50.6T  21.9T        -       29T    12%    69%  1.00x  DEGRADED  /mnt

After:
Code:
# zpool list
NAME           SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
freenas-boot  28.2G  3.93G  24.3G        -         -      -    13%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
megadata       102T  50.6T  51.2T        -         -     8%    49%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt