Permissions problem

urobe

Contributor
Hey there,

I'm trying to setup syncthing on my freenas.

I followed this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKkPeyrK10U

I created the .stfolder file, but when I wand to select the folder under jails / mount points it tells me "Destination directory must be empty".
If I make another folder without the .stfolder file, I get the following error:

Code:
Loading ignores: open /media/nutzer/doda/.stignore: permission denied

Failed to create folder root directory stat /media/nutzer/doda: permission denied

Error on folder "Kamera" (sm-g930f_ayxu-Bilder): stat /media/nutzer/doda: permission denied

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Tobi

Last edited:

urobe

Contributor
I think I have the issue. One thing, I'm using Windows ACL not unix, as shown in the video (though I think this should be fine).

BUT, what I didn't do is check the box for "Apply permissions recursively" when I set the user and group for the pool.
I didn't dare to do this, as I'm not sure what will happen. I adjusted to Windows ACLs already to give certain users rights to see certain folders. There is one user who sees them all though.

Can someone tell me, what would happen if I apply permissions recursively to the syncthing user? Will user syncthing just be added to the folder permissions? Will any folder have then only this user in the permissions?

urobe

Contributor
I tired some more, and it is now actually syncing. BUT I can't mount the Jail folder to my storage volume.

Inside the Jail I created two folders.

- folder1 does contain the .stfolder file, as soon as the .stfolder is created, I can't mount it anymore to the storage volume. However, I can sync my remote device to this folder.

- folder2 does not contain the .stfolder, and I can mount it to the storage volume, but when I try to sync it with the remote device, I get a permissions denied in syncthing.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

urobe

Contributor
it seems that some other people had problems with windows ACL / shares and syncthing.
As it is kind of important for us, I'm could consider using UNIX ACL for our share. I guess this is possible in theory, but what would be the disadvantage of using the unix share to be accessed by windows computers?
All my users are created manually in freenas. Freenas serves as storage for office (word, excel, pdf), photos (jpg, tif, raw) and video (avi, mkv) files. Every user has a own direction which only he and a helper user can access.
Is it realistic to have this funtionality?

My plan B is, and I think this would be the quicker route, to have syncthing on my windows printerserver and sync the files from there to the nas. It would have more than enough space, and I kind of fear a lot of struggle with the freenas syncthing plugin as it will need a workaround for a while at least.

urobe

Contributor
If anyone cares, I did setup syncthing on the windows computer, and if you install SyncTrayzor and not the core only, you also get access to network drives out of the box.