permissions on mounted files not working inside iocage jail? (11.2)

MeganTheNas

Cadet
I upgraded to 11.2 recently and created a new jail, to house a self-installed Plex instance.
I gave it one mount, to a parent directory which internally has the folders set up as desired.
FreeNas mount location: /mnt/OnePower/saidar (saidar is a child datastore of the root datastore OnePower).
Jail mount location: /media/plex-data

I have created a user with the same UID in FreeNAS as the service user who needs to be able to see the files
Plex User: plex:*:972:972:Plex Media Server:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
Freenas User: plex:*:972:922:Plex:/nonexistent:/bin/csh (created through the UI)

The Freenas User has an auxiliary group membership as follows
mediaGroup:*:921:Plex

The mediaGroup is group owner on the /mnt/OnePower dataset, and the /mnt/OnePower/saidar dataset, and the files inside them

root@nas:/mnt/OnePower/saidar # ls -l
total 204
drwxrwxr-x+ 45 windows mediaGroup 46 Jul 31 13:50 air

root@nas:/mnt/OnePower/saidar/air # ls -l
total 260762
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 windows mediaGroup 3 Jun 24 2017 SomeFolder

The extended windows type permissions for Windows permissions are that 'Everyone' has read & execute; list and read permissions; and the other user groups (which aren't involved in this) have full access.

Given this, I would expect that the Plex user inside the jail should be able to see /media/plex-data/air/SomeFolder and all. the files inside SomeFolder
Instead what is the case is that it can see /media/plex-data/air exists.... except it lists /media/plex-data/air as empty and it cannot see any files nor folders inside 'air'

Has anyone got any clue what might be wrong with my permissions here, that mean that no user inside the jail can see the folders or files inside 'air', when they can see the folders and files directly inside /media/plex-data?

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Can you provide a screenshot of your mount points from the FreeNAS GUI?

Also, inside of the jail, plex is a member of which group(s)?