Permissions issue won't allow file deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindstar

Cadet
I am running the Plex plugin in Freenas. I recently set up the Plex DVR to record shows from my antenna/HDHomerun premium, however the files that are being created are not able to be deleted from my Windows machine. I have been Googling around for the last few days, and I think the issue is permission related, as I am getting errors about being unable to delete do to not being the Unix user (in the file security tab, it identifies my Freenas root/wheel user as the only one who can write the file).

I have read other threads about the different permission settings I should have, but I think I am mostly there. The volume the media is saved to is set for "windows" permissions, and the share is a windows share. Any help would be great, and feel free to ask for clarification, as I am sure I am being too vague in my description.

Mindstar

Cadet
Were you able to resolve this?
Unfortunately no.

As it stands, I can read/write to my windows share on my windows machine, and Plex can use my media without an issue. What I still cannot do is have plex write my media at all which is a bit different from when I posted this thread. I am sure it is something to do with permissions, but nothing I change seems to make a difference. Further frustrating the situation is that any time I change a permission/user/group setting for my dataset/jail, it seems to break the Plex plugin and requires me to delete the plugin and reinstall because it will not turn back on. Previously, it seems like Plex was able to record shows, but then I could not delete/edit them due to Windows not liking my permissions but now Plex just gives me an error about not having access to a storage location or something when I try to record anything.

I understand how users and groups work with Windows, but I do not get why or how they interface with Plex. Some of the tutorials I have been watching/reading to try to resolve this have suggested making a user/group for Plex, but I do not get why or how Plex uses that information.

I am obviously an amateur user here, and Plex is doing the basic task I need, but trying to take the next step in my understanding of these processes has been an issue that none of the official/unofficial documentation seems to clarify for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.