Permission Problems – My problem not FN8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheater

Explorer
Permission Problems – My problem not FN8.

Goal:
Universal home access, read,write,delete, to my RAIDz and ZFS HD, FN8-beta 4-64 bit. I am hoping to set up my NAS as an server for everyone in the home. (yes, there are some security issues, but get it working first then sort them out).

*I'm an FN enthusiast with zero formal background with a computer, pls walk me through your reply as if I don't know much of what you are saying (which is largely true). I think I am adding too many layers of complication to this, and need to restart and find my permission error.

Problem:
unable to fully manage my files on the NAS. 1. unable to delete all files and folders on NAS. 2. After some work arounds, see below, unable to delete some files “Error deleting file: No such file or directory”

First Setup:
1. Set up drives: Storage -> create volume -> set it up -> change permissions, select all the check boxes.
2. Windows share -> add shares -> fill in the blanks and allow guest access.
3. Services -> CiFS -> anon, workgroup -> allow guest (WWW or daemon?)
Then
1. chown on FN box, didnt work
Then
1. Chron job via GUI daily: chmod -R 777 /mnt/FREENAS, maybe allowed some more delete privileges.
Next attempt:
1. Auxiliary parameters of the share: force user = root (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/CIFS_Shares)

Current Delete errors:
Error deleting libutil.so, is_idlok.3x, etc
Error deleting file: No such file or directory

Write is ok.

Searching for this only further fragmented my thoughts on the errors.

Thanks for checking.

FE

joeschmuck

Old Man
I guess the question is why are you deleting FreeBSD/NAS files? Some files are created when you turn on features of FreeNAS. Are these files hidden?

It's very easy to setup a CIFS share for everyone to use. I don't recall where this is located in the forums but you can find it if you put some effort into it. Just because you're not familiar with computers (which I doubt since you have built a FreeNAS box and have created a cron job to run daily) doesn't mean you can't look for the answers yourself.

fisheater

Explorer
I guess the question is why are you deleting FreeBSD/NAS files? Some files are created when you turn on features of FreeNAS. Are these files hidden?

Thanks for your reply. Your question about deleting files: I was referring to my files transfered onto the RAIDz, not FreeBSD/NAS files. I imagine the RAIDz drive I made as an empty box with no files in it - mine nor hidden system files. I am using linux and am aware .files do not show up when looking for files. Perhaps a derivative of that syntax is what is tripping me up.

A summary of my trial - I copied the contents of my current proprietary NAS to my FN box. Then I tried to delete the contents of my RAIDz via nautilus in linux. That action generated multiple errors as noted in the above post.

My goal is to understand how to use the FN8 system before making the switch full time.

Thanks again.

FE

Status
Not open for further replies.