Performance comes to crawl after arc fills up?

helloha

Contributor
I just wanted to check if the following is normal behavior:

When I copy 100 GB+ of files to my server over my 10GBe the process comes to a crawl when around 80GB of files have been copied. I have 96GB of ram on the server, there is also plenty of disk IO (around 700MB R/W).

This happens when doing a copy in windows explorer but also when using robocopy in a shell.

When the copy stops, I check iostat via SSH and none of the pools are writing to disk.

When I check the server stats you see the arc is full. Then there is a dip and copying starts again but much slower (1/5 th the speed).

Capturesdfsdf.JPG

Check my full server config below, many thanks!
Karel.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

To confirm, this is on 9.10.2-U1? If so, there have been many ZFS and SMB improvements since then, some directly related to performance.

helloha

Contributor
Sorry! it's FreeNAS-11.1-U6. Old signature...

helloha

Contributor
Thanks for the feedback, any idea if I would need to update the IT firmware on my Dell H310 cards when upgrading to 11.2? I had to do this in the past and it's a huge pain...

Thanks for the advice!
Karel.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for the feedback, any idea if I would need to update the IT firmware on my Dell H310 cards when upgrading to 11.2? I had to do this in the past and it's a huge pain...

Thanks for the advice!
Karel.
No need to upgrade your hba