Password Nightmare

matty

Cadet
Setting up the freenas for the first time. Followed tutorials off the net but keep coming up with a password problem. When I go to sign in to the drive on backup drive on the nas i use my ip address them it asks me for my credentials, and it says every time the password is wrong. Now I have deleted the user re-added the user and just going round in circles .

Can anyone just walk me through it so i can see what I am doing wrong.

Sorry if this as been asked before,

Many thanks

stinger608

Cadet
I have encountered this same thing! At the console I type in option 7 to change password and no matter what I do nothing happens?

The courser doesn't move or type anything? I type in a password and hit enter and it asks to type in password once again. I type it in and hit enter and it states that password was successful. However, I go to one of my systems and type it in and it keeps giving me a wrong password and just sits there.
I open up a browser and type it in and the same thing happens.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The console 7 password only sets the root password for the GUI. For SMB sharing, root is disabled by default from sharing. You should create another account for sharing.

stinger608

Cadet
The console 7 password only sets the root password for the GUI. For SMB sharing, root is disabled by default from sharing. You should create another account for sharing.

Right. If I go to the GUI and type the password in, it still gives me the wrong password notice though.

Samuel Tai

Are you using root as the login in the GUI? Are you using spaces in the password? Remember, you have to use Unix password conventions, and passwords are case-sensitive. Also avoid shell special characters, like #$[]\/'"&^@!`*;?. The only special characters I've found safe to use are ()+-.

stinger608

Cadet
Nope, no special characters. I guess I am trying to use the root to login to the GUI.......
No other way to get to the user interface?

Samuel Tai

You have to explicitly type in root as the username, and then the password in the GUI.