OVH 72T Optimal Setup for virtual environment

pbgben

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have recently brought a 72TB server from OVH and plan to use it as a file share for my VPS's (Also OVH)

The server has an E5 2620v2 CPU and 48 GB DDR3 ECC 1600MHz RAM, Using the mega-raid card I setup a raid6 array for the 12*6TB SAS drives. Now here is where I need a few tips/suggestions from the experts :)

My plan is to install FreeNAS as a VM under VMware ESXi, then provision 50TB of storage to it and 45GB of the RAM.

Is this an OK setup, or would you recommend I do it another way?

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Start with RTFM. The hardware recommendations would give you several hints to what you are already doing wrong. ;)

pbgben

Cadet
Start with RTFM. The hardware recommendations would give you several hints to what you are already doing wrong. ;)
Thanks,

So, so far I understand that I A) Dont have enough RAM, and B) need to Un-Raid my drives

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's the two. :)

You should probably take this opportunity to read through the entire manual (there's random tidbits of knowledge that are very important) and read our stickies (especially my noobie presentation).

Edit: Actually, you don't need to unraid your drives, you need a totally different controller. :D

Also if you read you'll find that support for FreeNAS in a VM is nonexistent here. There's some major problems with running FreeNAS in a VM, so nobody here particularly supports it. We have stickies on the topic if you wish to read more. ;)

carlosepc

Cadet
I have the same configuration server, but I am using Proxmox. For me this is working fine, I install freenas with a 32 GB and I add extra space to a mount point. This is fine my big issue is configuring the network with OVH, I know how to set the failover IP with ovh over freebsd the problems is when I restart Freenas recreate all the configuration files