Optimal Scrub, Smart and Periodic Snapshot schedule for Home Usage That's Turned Off (Not running 24/7)

johns007

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

Looking at discussing openly, an optimal schedule for the important maintenance tasks in a freenas.
The reason why i am asking, is because i have a unique usage scenario.
I don't have my freenas on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I only use it when i need to store data on it, view data and media and then turn it off again.

Generally, when it goes on, it stays on for an average of between 2 hours through to 24 hours, especially i know it's due for some maintenance scrub or smart check.

I currently have my schedule set like this:

smart short test "daily" at 00:00
smart long test "Monthly" at 01:00

Scrubs every 19 days interval, no matter which day, to run at night, when not being accessed at 00:00.

Now, the only thing i get paranoid about, is the Scrub running when a smart long test is due.

It's all about the clashing of the times. The other thing to note, is the smart tests don't have interval days as a feature. This would be useful for situations when the server is turned off.

Now for the final maintenance schedule, periodic snapshots. I have this set to 03:00-04:00 every 12 hours, kept for 2 weeks.

What is your schedule and hopefully i can touch base with others who like to keep their energy costs down, by switching off the server when it's not in use, also prolonging the life of the server and it's components, with the exception of hard drives which i keep to a 5 year life ratio like the big data centers do.