OpenCorsairLink in a jail to control fans?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have had another look at this and was finally able to compile the official project (https://github.com/audiohacked/OpenCorsairLink) on a stock FreeBSD 12 install which I will do a bit more to document in the next little while and will also update the script to use the latest updates to @Kevin Horton 's script.

The key to compiling was to install gmake, gcc and git, then clone the project and adjust the Makefile top section to look like this:
Code:
CC = gcc

# CFLAGS ?=
CFLAGS += -std=c99
# CFLAGS += -pedantic-errors
CFLAGS += -I/usr/include -g
# CFLAGS += -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500

LDFLAGS += -lm -lusb -L/usr/lib
LDLIBS += -usb -lrt

# pkg-config for libusb-1.0
CFLAGS += $(shell pkg-config --cflags libusb-1.0)
LDFLAGS += $(shell pkg-config --libs libusb-1.0)

PREFIX ?= /usr/local

Then gmake and presto!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Also, I have noticed that the official version does the reporting a bit differently, so the grep to find fan speeds by name will need a tweak with a grep -A2 (the line + 2 more) and a second grep to get the RPM value for fans... will need to add that as part of my options to Kevin's script, which I have now forked and will make a pull request when done to make this a "standard, but optional" component of that script.

Mannekino

Patron
I haven't used the script yet, I've only set the fan speed manually and keeping an eye on it myself. Will you be providing the binaries and script here when you finish everything? So far it's working well, very happy with the results. Noise levels have decreased because I got rid of my hellish PCI exhaust fan for my SAS controller and replaced it with a 40 mm PWM fan also connected to the Commander Pro.

The temperature of the heat sink of my SAS controller finally settled on 34 °C stable.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The temperature of the heat sink of my SAS controller finally settled on 34 °C stable
Great result. Well done for persisting until the end.

Will you be providing the binaries and script here when you finish everything?
I'll see about the binaries... to help people out, I will probably post again here.

I have forked Kevin's script on git and will request a merge, but my fork will exist in any case, so I'll post a link to both here also.

Sightblinder

Dabbler
A bit of background. I am looking into replacing my old Freenas server with complete new hardware. I am going with a bigger case this time to build for the future. I am considering getting 6 Corsair ML120 or LL120 fans with a commander pro to control them. I am new to Corsair but understand that you need(?) the ICUE software to control the fans and RGB but ICUE isn't compatible with Unix/Freenas.

Do I understand it correctly that this OpenCorsairLink script some of you have produced for Freenas is working to control fan speeds through the Commander pro (but not the RGB?).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Do I understand it correctly that this OpenCorsairLink script some of you have produced for Freenas is working to control fan speeds through the Commander pro (but not the RGB?).
The compiled version of the binary available currently in the thread is a version from over a year ago and has fan control working fine. The current project version which can be compiled from the source with the tips I gave is more or less complete and may work to control LEDs too (I am not interested in testing that).

Sightblinder

Dabbler
Thank you. As someone said, fan control is more important than the LED functions. Nice to have but not crucial.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so I have a working version that I will soon be putting in production for my new version of the script to go with the new/official OpenCorsairLink version (compile instructions above in the thread).

I forked @Kevin Horton 's repository and created a new script called MASTER_PID_fan_control.pl based on Kevin/Stux's original script together with a lot of updates from @treefrob and some new/"borrowed" code to make a monstrosity of a script that can handle SuperMicro boards, Asrock or basically anything else via OpenCorsairLink paired with an appropriate Corsair Fan Controller.

This version of the script is not tested on Asrock or Supermicro by me, since I have neither of those board types available to me.

I attempted to leave all of the code I pulled across in a working state and made my additions fit to it, so I expect it to work with few bugs if any.

It should also add the possibility for folks with the other fan controller/board types to get logging to influxdb as part of the deal, so maybe that's interesting for some to switch to my version or for Rob or Kevin to pull across to theirs.

Mannekino

Patron
Hi @sretalla I've been using the compiled binary since earlier this year when we talked about it. I'm interested in taking it a step further and I would like to have the possibility to have the fans be dynamically controlled based on the temperature. I did experience quite a increase in both the HDD temperatures as well as the heatsink of my HBA (where I stuck a sensor on from the Commander Pro) this summer and I had to manually adjust the fan speed using the binary.

I think those fan control scripts that are popular on this forum don't work for me because of my specific Supermicro X9SCM-F board I've tried this in the past.

Will I be able to achieve what I want with your newest set of scripts you think? If so, I will try to deep dive into it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have it working well for me in a few boxes. You can manipulate the script as needed for your requirements.

I'm here to help you get it going and to work on any mods you see as useful.

I haven't yet implemented anything to use the builtin temperature sensors as a cue for fan speed changes, but I think that wouldn't be too hard.

Maybe if you're a bit more specific about how you see it working, I can have a bash at something...

I guess you're thinking about a third (or even fourth +) zone to control different fans based on the sensors.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Just to give a little idea about how the script can work, here's a snapshot of the grafana page I have which uses the influxdb output from my version of the script.

1605132665908.png

Those higher lines on the disktemps graph are NVME drives in that box, so don't have any relationship to the fans, but you can see clearly when there's load on one of them there.

Chaza218

Cadet
Hi - Stumbled across this

Apologies in advance am very new to Linux/TrueNAS. Windows Sysadmin by day but linux novice by night....

I have tried to setup OCL and run into issues. Looking at the github page (https://github.com/sretalla/nas_fan_control) was also quite confusing. I am unsure how to actually install it? Can anyone assist?

Thanks in advance :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am unsure how to actually install it? Can anyone assist?
You need a compiled version of OCL (so would be a file called OpenCorsairLink.elf, or something similar). Instructions on how to compile that earlier in this thread (EDIT: and in the post following this one in a zip file).

Then you put that together with the main script from that git repo (MASTER_PID_fan_control.pl ) and pick one of the the config files (like https://github.com/sretalla/nas_fan_control/blob/master/4d_config.ini )

You need to put them somewhere on your server, either in /root/ or in /mnt/tank/scripts or something like that.

Then you edit that master script to point at your chosen config file, the OpenCorsairLink.elf and which fans you want to control for what. (this will take a while to read through the script and find the right bits to change... once the script is running, you can't interactively change the parameters in there, interactive/live changes while the server is running are only in the config file)

it may help you to run OpenCorsairLink.elf manually in order to test first: ./OpenCorsairLink.elf --device 0 --fan channel=0,mode=0,pwm=100 (vary the channel up to 5 to get to each fan) You can also run it with no switches to get a status: ./OpenCorsairLink.elf --device 0

Then you run the script manually to convince yourself it works.

Once you're happy, you set up a post init script with a really long timeout (I use 999999999) and there you go.

EDIT: I now use tmux instead to allow controlling/restarting it at any time after startup without the need to reboot and avoids losing the script if middlewared restarts.
tmux new-session -d -s fanscript '/mnt/tank/scripts/MASTER_PID_fan_controller.pl'

Last edited:

sretalla