Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

TrueOS Open Letter to the TrueOS Community - TrueOS Discontinuation

JoshDW19

Community Moderator
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey TrueOS Community! I just wanted to take a few minutes to address what some of you may have already guessed. With a heavy heart, the TrueOS Project’s core team has decided to discontinue the development of TrueOS for the foreseeable future. We’ll still be heavily involved in other Open Source projects like FreeNAS & TrueNAS CORE. We’re incredibly proud of the work we put into TrueOS and its predecessor, PC-BSD.

TrueOS source code will remain available on GitHub for others that may want to continue the work that we started so many years ago. I can’t explain just how much we appreciate you all being loyal fans of TrueOS and PC-BSD in the past. We’re confident that even though this is a hard decision, it’s also the correct decision because of the exciting new projects that we’re all becoming more involved in like TrueNAS CORE. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Joshua & Kris

KevDog

What exactly does this mean? I'm sorry I'm not aware of the history being discussed here.

KevDog

That helped to clear things up a little bit. Thanks. So the project is dead.

Yorick

Neophyte Sage

emk2203

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.
I see you are a man of culture. That reminds me - I need to dust off my dusty Lovecraft collection and re-read them.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
What is the timeframe for all that remains of TrueOS, the support lifetime, the github site, and the forum topic here?

Background
I know that TrueOS had been built from the FreeBSD current branch, which I believe is/was 13.x. Without maintenance for TrueOS, I would personally not recommend updating it by way of any FreeBSD mechanism because the current branch can be quite unstable and things may work intermittently or be broken in unusual ways. The iX team for TrueOS smoothed that out considerably. It would take at least as much effort to bring any TrueOS one may have installed up to date with the underlying FreeBSD, as well as to correct any hiccups involved.

Migration?
I would believe that any sort of migration instruction would be useful for those who wake up one day to discover their OS is no longer being developed. I cannot quite guess exactly how that would look, or what would be involved. Whether one woud choose to continue with FreeBSD current would be a bit different than if a user decided to 'downgrade' to FreeBSD stable. I do not have a TrueOS installation, so I cannot attempt to figure out what the TrueOS devs know with regard to how folks could adapt.