Only 2 drives show up in Last 4 bays of 24-bay SuperMicro

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You may need to set the boot order in the BIOS but the system should not be bypassing the SATA ports on the system board.

iHeartMacs

Explorer
You may need to set the boot order in the BIOS but the system should not be bypassing the SATA ports on the system board.

Thx again. I have every Drive showing up now that I am using a usb boot instead of SSD. Only 23 drives out of 24 on the Backplane show up. Yet the one that doesn't show up on my Freenas it blinking! Not sure if that just means it's on or what but that drives me crazy that I know it's powered on yet Freenas can't see it. Is there any way to see if the HBA sees it? Just wondering if this is a bad HBA or maybe expander/backplane.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
change the name of the file "sas2flsh.efi" to boot64.efi
That's extremely hacky. What happened is that the system firmware ran that executable, which immediately returned because it was called without arguments. Definitely not something to encourage or rely on.

Supermicro boards have an EFI shell built-in, with an option to boot to it. Boards that do not can simply be provided with the EFI shell executable and told to boot to it.