One Jail refuses to VNAT to epair (no networking)

Ryan Beall

Dabbler
FreeNAS-11.1-U6 (rest of server specs in tag)

I've got 3 jails running in VNAT. All three have been perfectly fine for about 6 months until I had to reboot. After reboot, the one jail can't seem to connect to the epair and provide networking to the jail. If I turn off VNAT everything works perfect, but the whole rest of my system depends on that jail bing on that static ip.

on boot the jail doesn't get it's statically assigned IP address. When I manually set the ip, I can see it on the router and almost get the warm and fuzzy that it's going to work. Prior to manually setting ip, the jail won't ping which makes sense because my router can't see it at all. After manually setting ip (which I shouldn't have to do), it does ping both from the parent FreeNAS root as well as on my LAN from other devices.... However, there's still no route external to the network

root@failing_jail:/ # ping google.com
ping: cannot resolve google.com: Host name lookup failure

root@failing_jail:/ # netstat
netstat: no namelist

root@failing_jail:/ # ifconfig
epair2b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
ether 02:c8:e0:00:0c:0b
inet 192.168.1.110 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)

NOTICE ^^^^ there's no assigned group. I can't seem to figure out how to do that locally on the jail.... but probably shouldn't do that on the jail manually as it wouldn't persist across boots if I had to guess. However, the epair2a on the FreeNAS side does have the proper group as follows:

root@FreeNAS:~ # ifconfig
epair2a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
ether 02:c8:90:00:0b:0a
hwaddr 02:c8:90:00:0c:0b
nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
groups: epair

The only other thing specifically about this jail is that I'm running an OpenVPN install. It's the only thing I haven't taken a close look at for conflicting, but I feel that shouldn't prevent the normal jail boot/instantiation process from hosing up the VNAT epair?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated because it's taking down my whole server. I don't really want to upgrade FreeNAS to newer version just for this, because a lot of my infrastructure isn't supported by iocage etc.

sretalla