Ombi secure remote access from a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struckmonger

Cadet
I was looking in to a way to make this happen with a free domain hosting provider. This is the first time I've dealt with web domain hosting and I have some major questions. To get what I think I know out of the way, here's how I envision this happening:
  1. Server PC hosts Ombi jail
  2. NGINX jail takes Ombi and adds SSL
  3. Router does port forwarding for NGINX jail
  4. Cloudflare takes the forwarded port and sends it to a dot.tk domain (since it's free and I've heard it supports SSL)
In theory this would supply end-to-end encryption as well as DDOS protection, while allowing to access at a specific domain name.

If my understanding is correct, should I set up NGINX using the SSL certificate provided by Cloudflare? In my mind, NGINX is just a method of setting up a self-hosted reverse proxy, right? Additionally I've looked at tutorials and am still uncertain on how to set up NGINX, so I'll likely be asking more questions about this in the replies.
If my understanding is incorrect, please let me know how things actually work. It would be much appreciated. If someone is willing to throw what they know at my face, I am willing to convert knowledge gained from this into a tutorial. I will likely be asking various follow up questions as I progress through this (sorry in advanced).

Struckmonger

Cadet
Did you figure out how to do this?
Yeah, after many hours of research I got it working. Ended up with a secure jail that will only communicate with CloudFlare. Even added on some IPFW rules for extra hardening. Best of all, every service I used was free. Will create a guide when I have time.

EDIT: Ombi V3 is not supported by Freenas so this tutorial isn't possible anymore.

Last edited:

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Yeah, after many hours of research I got it working. Ended up with a secure jail that will only communicate with CloudFlare. Even added on some IPFW rules for extra hardening. Best of all, every service I used was free. Will create a guide when I have time.
Looking forward to the guide :)

JJT211

Patron

That would be sweet

Gonzalo

Patron
+1 to the guide!

Struckmonger

Cadet
Since the latest versions of Ombi are not supported on Freenas, making a guide for this will have to be put on hiatus.

D

dlavigne

Which part is not supported? Does the source code not build on FreeBSD-based systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.