Old PC Case for more HDD Storage

cygnus

Explorer
Hi All, after adding my 6th HDD to my Home setup Freenas - I'm now running out of room and gotten to thinking, could I utillise an old PC Case and Power Supply I have hanging around to Power some other Sata HDD's as an External HDD Chassis? I can then route the data SATA cables back to the base Freenas (would have its own dedicated SATA controller in there). This could then give me some storage expansion?

I appreciate I would have to modify the Power Supply switching in the External PC Case Power Supply on, so the HDD's would get powered. But can't think why wouldn't work?

Has anyone else tried this? OR had similar experiences?

Many thanks
Rgds
Neale

Stevie_1der

Explorer
In general, storage in an external chassis is possible.

But SATA is specified for 1m cable maximum, and it doesn't sound like a wise idea running a bunch of SATA cables from one chassis to another.
And SATA extension cards in general are not a good option for FreeNAS either.

Luckily there exists a more than better alternative called SAS.
Just get a SAS HBA expansion card (either one with external SAS connectors, or one with internal SAS connectors + an internal SFF-8087 to external SFF-8088 SAS bracket) and put that into your mainboard.
Get a SAS expander that can be powered via HDD molex cable, an internal SFF-8087 to external SFF-8088 SAS bracket, and an internal SFF-8087 cable, and screw that into your storage chassis.
Connect the cable between bracket and expander.
Additionally, you need an external SFF-8088 SAS cable between server case and storage case, and SFF-8087 to 4x SAS breakout cables according to the number of disks you want to attach.

@Chris Moore has recently posted a link showing exactly that with a sketch and pictures, but I don't find it any more.

If you are fit in electronics, you could even synchronize the power to the main chassis (storage chassis powers automatically on and off with the main chassis).
To do so, you could hook up a small relay to the 12V side of the main chassis PSU, and wire the switching contacts to start the storage PSU.
But don't do this unless you are 110% sure what you are doing!

As you can probably guess, I already thought about this possibility myself, I just love planning things like that.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@Chris Moore has recently posted a link showing exactly that with a sketch and pictures, but I don't find it any more.
If I recall correctly, you might be talking about this, take a look and let me know:
https://senk9.wordpress.com/2018/01/14/guide-budget-home-server-upgrade-pt-4-nas-upgrades/

(would have its own dedicated SATA controller in there).
The most reliable way to do what you want to do, and many of us have done it, is with SAS. You can connect SATA drives to a SAS controller, don't worry. Here are some introductory materials that might help you get started and please feel free to ask questions. We try to be friendly and helpful.

Don't be afraid to be SAS-sy
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/don't-be-afraid-to-be-sas-sy.48/

and some videos:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/informational-videos-mostly-about-sas-hardware.105/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But your link is even better, because there are more pictures and descriptions, so thank you very much for that!
We have had many discussions on this over the last few years.

cygnus

Explorer
thanks to all for help! appreciated - I'll be on the look out for a SAS Adapter!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

CraigD

Patron
This is how I did it

I used:

1x 8087 cable plugged into a 8087-8088 pass thru in my sever
1x 8088 cable
1x Case (I have hot swap bays in a full tower)
1x PSU
1x PSU Jumper
1x Cheap Expander
1x Molex powered riser (Yes a PCIe mining riser card)
many 8087-4 SATA cables

Just make sure the riser doesn't short (I put a thin bit of wood under it)

If your think the riser is unreliable, buy a spare

In my country Rack mount cases are too expensive

Have Fun
View attachment 28131

Evertb1

Guru
I can't help to think that working with external storage for a home server is a bit overdone. Unless you like to tinker with hardware ofcourse. If I were you I would simply search for a PC case with a lot of 5.25 inch external bays. New those are getting sparse but second hand they should still be to find. I have a Sharkoon with 9 of them. I used the space of 6 of them to mount 2 hotswap bays, each of them offering space for 4 drives giving me room for 8 drives total. I stil have 1 extra of those bays in storage so if I ever want to expand to 12 drives I can do that. And if I Bought bays like this I could even house 15 drives in my modest PC case. The total build is pretty compact and thanks to the fans in the hdu cages my drives keep pretty cool. The same goes for the rest of the system.

I can't help to think that working with external storage for a home server is a bit overdone. Unless you like to tinker with hardware ofcourse.

Depends on the number of disks you have :) I have two servers with 30 disks each, it would be difficult to find a tower case for that, but it's easy with a second one.

Evertb1

Guru
Depends on the number of disks you have :) I have two servers with 30 disks each, it would be difficult to find a tower case for that, but it's easy with a second one.
Well if I would go that way I would ask myself this: do I meet my needs for storage or my want for more technology? That last one can be complete legit of course if that is what you want and can afford. However, the OP just added a 6th HDD. At that point there ar still so many possibilities to extend the number of drives within one housing, that having an external case becomes -in my opinion- a goal of its own. I am always amazed about some peoples FreeNAS rigs and still call it a home server.

JaimieV

Guru
Once you start going SAS you can use purpose built disk shelves that connect by an SFF-8088 cable (or whatever the new faster version is, I'm on the old style). I picked up a Dell Xyratex HB-1235 12 x 3.5" SATA (or SAS) shelf for £100 recently, comes with dual PSUs and dual disk controllers. Cheaper than a new case and appropriate PSU.

/Edit: Similar kit to the shelf Chris linked to yesterday but cheaper.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

southwow

Contributor
I've got two old server cases that are literally JBOD enclosures.

I'm using supermicro power boards in both of them along with some brackets and SAS expanders.

One of the cases is a supermicro 846 and the other is a generic istar or equivalent with 3x 5-drive backplanes.

Doing it this way prevents the need for jumpering wires, allows you to power some fans, and makes the power button work as intended

Not as nice or turnkey as @Chris Moore 's solution, but can be done for less than $100.00 if you buy a used intel expander and used power board.

pro lamer

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The link doesn't work for me - "blog marked private"...

(?)

Sent from my phone
Sorry. It was working just a few days ago, without being logged into anything.

Edit: It appears to have been changed on Sunday the 17th after I posted the link the preceding Thursday.

pro lamer

Guru
Sorry. It was working just a few days ago, without being logged into anything.

Edit: It appears to have been changed on Sunday the 17th after I posted the link the preceding Thursday.
Can you remember anything similar from the top of your head?

Sent from my phone