Offline (uncorrectable) Sectors, but tests fine?

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Yeah. I'm thinking it's just a firmware glitch that's probably harmless, but I'd rather not have CRITICAL ALERT happening for no reason. We'll see if Seagate accepts my RMA without charging me the "We couldn't find anything wrong with this" fee (which, if I'm reading this, is about $300 :eek: and they won't ship it back!).

Fun thing, after resilvering the cross-shipped drive in, now all of the sudden the sister drive (I had two of these models in the array) is starting to report pending bad sectors (just, without the IO resetting).

This is shameful...

AlexGG

Contributor
eah. I'm thinking it's just a firmware glitch that's probably harmless, but I'd rather not have CRITICAL ALERT happening for no reason.

I'm thinking maybe it only records addresses for the first 128GB or so, and any higher than that it records -1 as a placeholder. Since we are looking at the error log, this may well be by design. So as far as logging glitch goes, may be harmless. I don't think "critical alert" happens for no reason though, though I can't see what it is.