Off-the-shelf NAS compatible with FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sektor

Cadet
Hey,

I'm looking for a NAS for home use, I'll be the only user. I've skimmed the topics on this forum and I get the feeling that everyone is building a NAS from components.

I'm looking for an Off-the-shelf solution I can just plugin and boot up. I don't mind some software setup, but I would prefer not to be messing with hardware.

I'm looking for the following features:
- low power consumption
- mirroring so my data is at least on two disks
- bonus: be able to run a subversion and web server
- bonus: easily turned on/off using wake-on-lan or something similar

Are there vendors offering this kind of NAS? Does anyone have experience with such a device?

Thanks

B

Bohs Hansen

If that is all you need, I would recommend a Qnap or Synology 2bay. If you want past 2 bays its cheaper to build them yourself and that is where FreeNAS and similar OS come into the picture. Many people also use their "old" hardware to setup a NAS from - but that usually defeats the "low power consumption" idea.

Sektor

Cadet
protosd, thanks for clearing that up.

I checked out Qnap and Synology and their systems seem to be what I'm looking for. According to the specs, these boxes can run (embedded) linux, which is fine for what I need.

It's a very responsive forum over here, thanks guys.

5teve

Dabbler
There is always the HP micro servers n36l and n40l. All you have to do is add drives. They easily take 5 drives. They are low powered upgradeable etc.

I have the n40 working quite nicely and have no freenas / Linux experience at all

Steve

B

Bohs Hansen

protosd, thanks for clearing that up.

I checked out Qnap and Synology and their systems seem to be what I'm looking for. According to the specs, these boxes can run (embedded) linux, which is fine for what I need.

It's a very responsive forum over here, thanks guys.

Thats the benefit of those prebuild NAS systems. They got an advanced user interface for the linux distro (the not only can, but do run linux) and a decent library of addons to install.

There is always the HP micro servers n36l and n40l. All you have to do is add drives. They easily take 5 drives. They are low powered upgradeable etc.

I have the n40 working quite nicely and have no freenas / Linux experience at all

Steve

Might add to that, that for FreeNAS he'd also have to add/replace the RAM from the default

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You don't have to replace the RAM. You just shouldn't use ZFS if you keep the default. 1GB works *fine* for UFS and most workloads. Get too low, though, and your UI will start to get laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.