Ode to the Dell C2100/FS12-TY

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Thanks for the tip. I'm running the B23 BIOS.
Now I am confused... ;) Think I need to do some testing to see if there is something else that could be going on that is preventing ESXi 6.0 installing on some models. I have the "PowerEdge C2100" as well as "FS12-TY" models so can try various scenarios.

Just for clarification, what is the full BIOS info (Seeing if it starts with "C99" or "S99")?

Examples:
This one I am currently running ESXi 5.5 U3 on:
upload_2016-7-3_15-20-11.png

This one I had to use B16 to get ESXi 6.0 U2 on:
upload_2016-7-3_15-21-1.png

Odd thing is that the "B16" one does not show a "Product Name" or "Manufacturer"... There are supposedly tools that can be used set those; may have to look into that possibly.

Mirfster

Ahh, The "Sequoia" model... My current MS Hyper-V Server has the Sequoia B16 running. May try the B23 BIOS and installing ESXi on a separate drive to see how it goes.

Thanks for helping.

upload_2016-7-3_16-15-52.png

Raident

Dabbler
Wow. I was aware that there was a custom for large enterprise "FS12-TY" which is similar but somehow not identical to the retail "C2100", but I didn't know there were differences even between different FS12-TY systems.

Then again, my ideal server is one that requires no fiddling or maintenance so I never really spent much time thinking or learning much about it until now, despite having owned it for almost 3 years now.

maglin

Patron
So I couldn't get ESXi 6 setup to load with B23. Got the PSOD. I'm going to try with B16. Then I'll try to flash up until I get a PSOD. I read that some DCS boards worked fine on B23 but the Sequoia not so much. Also this is after I reflashed B16.
upload_2016-7-3_17-22-34.png

Mirfster

Wow. I was aware that there was a custom for large enterprise "FS12-TY" which is similar but somehow not identical to the retail "C2100", but I didn't know there were differences even between different FS12-TY systems.
From my understanding, there may be a lot of variations since Dell custom built these for customers that purchased large quantities at a time (may like 5,000 to 10,000 units?).

If you happen to have a copy of the "S99Q3B23" BIOS or a link, I may be willing to try it on a "sacrificial" motherboard to see.

I'm going to try with B16. Then I'll try to flash up until I get a PSOD
Cool, I think that B16 is the limit but if you find differently I am interested.

maglin

Patron
I have the S99Q3B23 . It was what I was on when I PSOD'd. But I just realized it was the original ESXi 6.0.0 and not U2 so I'm going to reflash B23 and check my current install. (expecting PSOD) then try the U2 install. And I'm getting that DDR3L warning again. I hate warnings. it also causes my error light to constantly blink on the front panel. SOOOOO annoying.

It seems to take about 4-5 minutes every time I reboot. So I'll be back in a few hours.

So ESXi 6.0u2 was a no go. PSOD. Back to B16. Here is B23 info
upload_2016-7-3_18-47-25.png

Last edited:

Raident

Dabbler
If you happen to have a copy of the "S99Q3B23" BIOS or a link, I may be willing to try it on a "sacrificial" motherboard to see.
Unfortunately it came pre-installed with the server, so I don't have any software for it :(

Mirfster

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
From my understanding, there may be a lot of variations since Dell custom built these for customers that purchased large quantities at a time (may like 5,000 to 10,000 units?).

Cool, I think that B16 is the limit but if you find differently I am interested.
Might it be here?

http://poweredgec.dell.com/latest_fw.html

Mirfster

@Raident ; Trying to dig up the "S99Q3B23" BIUOS; however all things I locate thus far are pointing me to the C1100/CS24-TY models:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=J055V

I am almost wondering if your system is really running a C1100/CS24-TY Motherboard that had the "Product Name" changed. My Hyper-V Server is running the "S99Q3B1" BIOS, so I may be in the same boat regarding that system. When I am able to shut these machines down, I will grab the actual Dell P/N from the Motherboards to cross-reference.

Mirfster

freenasllama

Cadet
I know this is a slightly dated thread, but I've been scoping out the C2100 for a FreeNAS build. Did you ever get a chance to test out the "FreeNAS Turn-Key" box from DFW Computers? Based on what I've seen on Ebay it does still look like a good deal.

Mirfster

I know this is a slightly dated thread, but I've been scoping out the C2100 for a FreeNAS build. Did you ever get a chance to test out the "FreeNAS Turn-Key" box from DFW Computers? Based on what I've seen on Ebay it does still look like a good deal.
Yes, I just haven't gotten around to doing a full write-up on it. However, I can let you know that the unit is perfectly fine for FreeNAS.

Only bit of trouble I had was that the internal fan shroud was missing; when I informed them they got the part to me within two days. I can tell you that it is a great deal, but do not purchase it from eBay. Instead use the direct link from their site since the coupon code is only valid there:
With that being said, if anyone else is wanting to be adventurous, here is the link:
http://www.dfwpartsdepot.com/?produ...n-e5630-2-53ghz-qc-32gb-9211-8i-2x-750w-trays

* Don't forget to use the coupon code of "freenas", if you are not going to wait
** Coupon is only valid at their site, not eBay

Jason Evans

Explorer

This has been a pretty trouble-free unit for me. Mirfster gave me a hand in a few things which this company takes care of. I say pull the trigger. Can always resell it.

Yes, I just haven't gotten around to doing a full write-up on it. However, I can let you know that the unit is perfectly fine for FreeNAS.

Only bit of trouble I had was that the internal fan shroud was missing; when I informed them they got the part to me within two days. I can tell you that it is a great deal, but do not purchase it from eBay. Instead use the direct link from their site since the coupon code is only valid there:

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction. Still running strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Jason Evans

Explorer
Did you mean 'trouble free'?
Sorry. Yes i did. Very happy with it. If you chose to pick one up. Grab a lack table from IKEA. They are about 9 bucks or so. Just to help keep it looking half decent.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk