SOLVED Not able to write files to NAS from Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

and227

Cadet
Hi,
I am new to NAS (all not just FreeNAS). I am trying to setup a NAS for my house to store all my media, doc, family files, etc. I also want to run a Plex server and DLNA stuff. I got FreeNAS all up and running after some install troubles. I am running a Core 2 duo with a 1-1 tb hdd (more to be added later), 4gb Ram (yes I know this is low and I plan to upgrade it soon). I don't really have any Windows PCs in my house anymore, but want to be prepared for it in the future. I want to set up this NAS up to work with Windows and Mac. I have setup up all types of systems (Mac, Unix, Windows) with no success of moving files to the NAS from my Mac. I have tried all kinds of combinations of permissions on the NAS but still nothing. I can see the folder but can not move any files to it. What am I doing wrong or missing? Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I can see the folder but can not move any files to it.
What errors are you getting?

If they are permission issues, watch this video
and see if you can set up some basic stuff.

Also the FreeNAS software has excellent documentation which all new users are strongly urged to read from cover to cover maybe three or four times, you can find the link to it at the top of every forum page under User Guide.

and227

Cadet
I have read through the documentation and followed it with no luck. I am not getting any error. When I drag the file over from the mac to the NAS folder (on my macbook) it just gives me a circle with a line through it and wont let it move. Basically like it is a read only drive.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Please list your full hardware specs. Also what version of FreeNAS you are using.

What protocol are you using for sharing. Since you stated you wanted the share to work with both Mac and windows computers, I'm assuming you are using SMB?

If you follow the manual or the above posted video step by step (wipe out whatever you had before) you should not have problems.

Alternatively, you can take screenshots of your dataset permissions screen and the share settings for the dataset screen.

and227

Cadet
Thank you so much BigDave & nojohnny101! this got it! I did what the movie said but it didnt work so I went through and deleted everything and started all over and it worked!!! Again thanks so much! I think my misunderstanding was I should be on Unix vs SMB for both mac and windows. I assume the SMB is the better way especially since it works. Again thanks for the help of an newbie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.