Noob user asking about setting up file system/sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwnerman

Explorer
Hello,

I'm in the process of getting all my parts and everything shipped to me so I wanted to get as clear as possible as I can with this before I get it so I can set it up correctly.

Right now I just have two drives in my PC in RAID 1 and that is where all my media and other stuff is. Easy

I have been doing my research and stuff but I'm confused as to how I should set up and design the way things are shared.

Some basic info. I'm going to have (6) 4 TB drives in RAID Z2 all as one big vDev or Virtual Device as I have come to learn it's called. ThaT vDev will then be the heart of the zpool which is apparently the fancy name for the volume. So now I have a big 16TB zpool in RAID Z2 that will last me a good long time. I think I have a pretty good understanding of that.

My issue I cannot seem to comprehend is how do I share this volume with my PC. Right now I have a bunch of different folders that I would not want shared. I also have my movies, tv shows and music I would like to share but everything else would be private.

How exactly do I go about doing this. Is is possible for me to just see one big volume just like I do now with my hard drive or am I going to need to separate everything out in different media types and create different shares for each type of media?

Will I end up having like a separate "drive" show up in Windows for each type of media? I just cannot seem to formulate a way how this works.

I wanted it to be simple. I wanted one big volume of 16 tbs to show up and to just allow me to copy everything over exactly like I have it now. Could I do that and would it still be possible for me to share certain areas but keep others just for me to see?

Any clarification will be helpful.

skyline65

Explorer
Personally I just created separate datasets for TV, Music etc which everyone could access. Then a dataset for My Stuff which only I have access to. I use a Mac so cannot help on the windows side, but when the family connect to the server they can see the shares but can only connect to the ones they have permission to do so.

This might be worth reading before you start setting up shares.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/

Or watching the video
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-cifs-permissions-video.8/

Also this after you have set them up.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...guration-for-small-freenas-deployments.27062/

Im sure the experts on here will have better guidance though.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
I would create a Windows permission dataset on your pool. Say "share" and share that is SMB. Then follow monkeys guide on advanced SMB permissions as linked by skyline.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I'll just add a bit more in case the above wasn't enough for you. your logic on volumes and vdevs are correct. The way you control permissions is to create "datasets" (as others have stated above) that can each carry custom permissions. This way you can control, via the layout of your datasets, who has access to what.

It sounds like you are doing some good forethought and whatnot before you build and start using which will serve you well. I suggest once you get all the hardware connected and running, dump some useless data on there and experiment with sharing, permissions, datasets, etc. Then when you believe you have a handle on it, put it into daily use.

Believe me, from firsthand experience, much better to experiment before moving your critical data.

Status
Not open for further replies.