Noob question about assigning IPs for plugins

rtuite

Dabbler
It took me a bit to realize that plugins are containerized applications. I'm having an issue installing plugins, as the system gives me a DHCP failure when I allow DCHP or a VNET failure error if I try to assign an IP on my network.

I came here and found this thread discussing my exact issue.

The OP solved his own issue, and posted the solution "plugins need their own _public_ IP address."

Being fairly new to advanced networking (more advanced than basic port forwarding and such) I'm not sure how to determine what this should be... Do I give the plugin its own subnet? Or do I need to assign it public IP?

Alecmascot

Guru
The OP solved his own issue, and posted the solution "plugins need their own _public_ IP address."
You need to assign a unique IP address for your network, not an external IP.
Normally you would have a DHCP server on your network and that would assign an IP address. That is all you should need.
Do other devices successfully get an IP address as DHCP clients >

rtuite

Dabbler
Yeah, DCHP is working fine for other devices.

But, when I use DHCP, I get this:
1585750562568.png

If I use a static IP configuration, I get this (Config information included in screenshot):
1585750916761.png

I also tried omitting the netmask, and I get this error which tells me that the netmask is necessary:
1585751031115.png

Alecmascot

Guru
Check this out :

rtuite

Dabbler
They point out that the bug is related to 11.2 U2, and I'm on 11.3. Not sure if it's still an issue in 11.3, but I am not sure that I have the option to roll back to 11.2.

They also recommend changing some settings on the application's jail, but the install process is failing and the jail is not being created.

rtuite

Dabbler
I'm still having issues with installing any plugins. They all fail with the above issues and I haven't found a resolution yet.

Yorick

Wizard
When doing static, try leaving the Interface blank.

DHCP is an issue in your network. For some reason the jails on the FreeNAS server aren't receiving a DHCP response, that's what that looks like.

You can check your DHCP server to see whether you even see the request.

rtuite

Dabbler
Good suggestion, but that gives me an error that "Plex has a missing configuration, please make sure that the dataset is mounted"

It doesn't even prompt me to select a dataset...

Yorick

Wizard
Yup, known issue when creating a plugin with a static IP in 11.3-U1, fixed in 11.3-U2.

rtuite

Dabbler
From what I read, that was an issue in 11.2-U1, fixed in 11.2-U2, not related to 11.3. This is basically a new build I started like 2 weeks ago and I got the latest version from the website at that time.

As far as I can see, there is no U1/U2 version of 11.3... and per the website, I'm completely up to date unless I want to install the version 12 beta. Am I missing something?

rtuite

Dabbler
Nevermind, I see the 11.3-U1 when I go to the support page. How do I go about updating to U2? I still don't see that as an option...

Yorick

Wizard
Log into your FreeNAS, and right on the Dashboard, there is Check for Updates. Before you do that though, go to Storage->Pools, find your iocage pool, and Create Snapshot. The risk that 11.3-U2 does something undesirable to your jails is small, no one has yet reported issues, and the risk is non-zero.
Then upgrade to 11.3-U2, start your jails, and try that plugin install once more.

The issue you are running into with your jail not getting DHCP is likely a bog-standard networking issue though. If you can't reach that thing with a static IP either, turn on raw sockets in the jail and look at your usual suspects: VNET set? Gateway set? Arp of gateway visible on ping? Can you ping the gateway? How about traceroute out to 8.8.8.8? Name servers resolving things for you? You know the drill, and if you don't, then you will learn a lot. :)

rtuite

Dabbler
As far as DHCP, everything else on the network gets IPs just fine. I'm using my Untangle router for DHCP and it's pingable from the FreeNas box. Pinging out to the web from the machine also works fine. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I'm not sure what you mean by "VNET set." Are you referring to virtual networks?

All that being said, I'm not sure it matters because I ran the update and now the whole system is hosed.
1586305340276.png

This will make the 4th time I've had to start over with this server. I'm probably going to explore other options, as I apparently don't have the skill to make FreeNas a stable option and don't want to keep bothering this community.

Yorick

Wizard
This looks like your boot drive failed. This commonly happens with USB 3.0 sticks, they run hot and die. USB 2.0 is a little better, but still not great. If that's what happened, it's "just" a matter of choosing the right boot media. SSD of any description is great; SATADOM on boards that support it will work just fine.

You can come back from this with a fresh install on SSD, then restore your config. Your pool will still be there, you do not have to start over from scratch.

edit: a well liked boot drive is an intel ssd 320 40gb from eBay. They are about 20 bucks and have plenty of life left in them for a boot drive.

"VNET set" I meant the jail networking option. For static, you'd use VNET, not berkeley. For DHCP, vnet and berkeley come on automatically, they're required. Allowing raw sockets is useful so you can ping and traceroute from within the jail.

You are right that FreeNAS requires additional planning up front. ZFS is part of that, it really does not lend itself to changing vdevs after the fact, and extending pools has to be done with great care. FreeBSD is part of that, not all hardware works equally well with it. And things like "USB sticks are prone to die, particularly since they went to 3.0" is part of that.

Last edited:

rtuite

Dabbler
I was able to recover by downloading the 11.3-u2 image, burning a USB drive, and reinstalling on the original USB drive.

However, I'm still getting all the same errors as before.

Regarding setting the jail networking options, this is failing before it creates the jail. From what I've read, the installation of plugins creates the jail. Is that not correct?

Yorick

Wizard
Regarding your boot device: I beseech you to get an affordable SSD. Your USB stick will keep failing.

And yes, the plugin installation creates the jail. When you choose to create a plugin with a static IP, you’d do so by switching to Advanced. Uncheck DHCP, check VNET, uncheck Berkeley packet filter. You can leave Interface alone, and give it IP, mask, and gateway. Allowing raw sockets is useful for troubleshooting connectivity, that’s how you get ping and trace route inside the jail.

Static-Jail.PNG

The "Allow raw sockets"option is in the Jail Properties. That gives you ping and traceroute inside the jail.

What is the motherboard you are using? I am curious about the Ethernet chipset. There are two reasons you might have the difficulty with DHCP that you have: Something in your network; or an issue with the drivers for the Ethernet chipset you are using with FreeNAS.

Last edited:

rtuite

Dabbler
I actually have several SSDs on hand. In fact, I started this adventure using an SSD. I went with USB because the build guide and even the install process suggested it. It's no big deal to switch back.

I was not using the advanced creation to create with the static. I was just unchecking DHCP and entering an IP. I attempted to go through this process as you described through the advanced setup leaving everything default except what you suggested to change, I put my router IP as the IPv4 Default router. Now, I'm getting a different error:
1586442394834.png

I verified that pkg.FreeBSD.org was pingable from the shell on FreeNAS

The board is an Asus P8H61-M harvested from an old desktop which has, I believe, a Realtek chipset.

Yorick

Wizard
Might be worth it to just create a jail, and see how DNS works inside there. You need to do some troubleshooting. That'll happen from command line. There will be a learning curve :).

rtuite

Dabbler
So, I rebuilt the system. I upgraded from the P8H61-M to a Z8NA-D6 with dual Xeon L5520 and 48GB RAM (so I can play with virtualization more), then performed a clean install on a 256GB SSD. I exported my settings from the original configuration and imported them on the new build.

The only thing I changed was setting my PiHole as DNS1 and 1.1.1.1 as DNS2 and 1.0.0.1 as DNS3 (previously I was running Cloudflare as 1 and 2 and my PiHole as 3). I'm guessing this was the magic bullet, as changing the MoBo probably wasn't what solved it.

I tried installing the plugin with a static IP and it hung at 20% for about 30 minutes.

So, I canceled that and ran the installer with DHCP enabled and it completed! I went back into the jail and set the static IP as discussed above, and I can access the app on my network.

Now I just need to finish the configuration and I should be good to go!