Noob: Looking for tutorial on setting up SSH Tunnelling for internet file transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
the simplest way is to setup a new user, make the primary group sshd, leave it's home as /nonexistent, then set it's shell to scponly. Turn on the ssh service. get a nice SFTP program (filezilla works great) login and start to transfer files. to access your files off-site, you'll need to setup port forwarding for port 22 to your FreeNAS box

let me know if you need more details.

esamett

Patron
Thank you for the reply. I will check out the WIKI on the steps you described. I don't understand what "home" or "shell" is for.

Do I also turn on the FTP service. If so how do I configure it?

I have used plain-ole FTP before, but never with tunneling or ssh. How would I configure and use FileZilla?
As a start I want to set up access to my entire NAS.

Thank you.

ProtoSD

MVP
With SSH you don't need to tunnel FTP, you use the command 'scp' (secure copy). Look at the man page or google 'man scp'. The program @matt suggested is a GUI version which behaves like FTP, but uses ssh/scp to do your transfers.

"home" is the login directory you specify when you create or modify a user account.

"shell" is the type of command line interface, like csh, bash, sh etc., but it can also be a standard command you want executed when you login. Once the command finishes, you'll be logged back out immediately.

You can change these under Account -> Users -> 'name of user to edit' from the Web GUI and a pop-up will let you modify the settings.
What @matt is suggesting is to create a new user, whatever name you want, and then edit those settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.