No WEBgui IP address [FreeNAS + Virtual Box ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan Oomen

Cadet
Hi all,

First post around here, so I think a quick introduction would be appropriate here.
My name is Stefan, I'm 17 years old and from The Netherlands. Currently I'm doing an IT study and next to that I'm working on my Private Pilot License. (PPL)
A couple of weeks ago we had a couple of lessons at school about FreeNAS and NAS in general. I really got into this, and since we had this old computer gathering dust at home, so I decided to turn it into my very own NAS! Call me Dutch, but I don't understand the people ditching their old computers to buy expensive NAS systems. There are tons of possibilities with those computers. It's just throwing away money! But that's me, haha!

I think it would be wise to describe the situation.
I've installed FreeNAS 8.0.4 virtually in Virtual Box 4.1.12. I've chosen a virtual installation due to the fact that I want to use this system for more than a NAS.

As we all know, FreeNAS must be configured using a WEBgui. FreeNAS should give you an address ( IP address ) at which you can reach the WEBgui. But this is where I'm stuck. The address at which I can reach the WEBgui is http://0.0.0.0/. This isn't going to work is it? =)

I've tried several network setups in Virtual Box. Standart setting is NAT, I also tried the Network Bridge Adapter, but that still gives me that 0.0.0.0 address. It must me something in Virtual Box ( Could it be the Guest Additions? ) because the physicial computer does have an active internet connection. ( I'm able to surf the internet normally )

I hope someone here could give me at least a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

wussy

Explorer
Hi Stefan,

What does freenas say on the console? when it´s booting up it shows you that it tries to get an IP from DHCP. After it is finished it will give you something like Try following IP.
If this is empty it might not get an IP.
You can set the ip through the console menu. Type in the 1 and then define how you would like to setup the interface.

I hope i could help. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

P.S.: Welcome to the FreenasForum

Stefan Oomen

Cadet
Thanks for your reply Wussy, I'll try your suggestion and I'll report back asap.

Thanks again!
Stefan

EDIT: I reinstalled the Virtual Machine, and for some weird reason it does give me an IP address now..
not sure why it does work now, but I don't really mind as long as it works! =)

EDIT 2: Ok, so I'm getting an IP assigned at which I should be able to reach the user interface. But.. when I try to connect to it, Internet Explorer says that the webpage cannot be displayed... Any ideas?

Thanks again!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
sounds like you need to change your Virtual Machine network settings to bridged mode.

Thanks for your reply Wussy, I'll try your suggestion and I'll report back asap.

Thanks again!
Stefan

EDIT: I reinstalled the Virtual Machine, and for some weird reason it does give me an IP address now..
not sure why it does work now, but I don't really mind as long as it works! =)

EDIT 2: Ok, so I'm getting an IP assigned at which I should be able to reach the user interface. But.. when I try to connect to it, Internet Explorer says that the webpage cannot be displayed... Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Stefan Oomen

Cadet
Thanks Pirateghost!
I did that, and selected the Virtual Box networkcard, and it works fine now.
Thanks for the tips and help guys!

Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.