No longer able to access SMB shares on FreeNAS from Win7

balanga

Patron
I have been able to access SMB on my FreeNAS (11.2-U5) box for several years but recently have been unable to. When I try, I get access denied.
Is there anything on FreeNAS where I can see that FreeNAS is preventing access rather than something on my Win7 system?

JaimieV

Guru
First, if you can, stop and start the SMB service. I've found it does something bad and semi-wedges occasionally, this last few months. Maybe from 11.2-U5 or so. (Getting it in a reduced form with current, but only for Mac Time Machine shares so shouldn't bother you.)

Check your shared directory's ownership still matches the user you're logging as.

ssh onto the FreeNAS and 'tail -f /var/log/messages' while a user tries to connect, see if that shows anything. Then the same with 'tail -f /var/log/samba4/log.smbd' - there are other logs in that folder that might show something up.

David Henrickson

Explorer
I'm inexperienced, myself. But....I did fix this on my server. Go into Services>SMB Edit and then CHECK the box that says ENABLE SMB1 SUPPORT. Yes....many warnings, but I am not gonna lie. As soon as I did that I was 100% up and running in Windows 7. I get the "security" risk of it all, but short up upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10....I don't know of another fix....ESPECIALLY that fast of one.

JaimieV

Guru
For a domestic NAS, SMB1 is fine. It's an awful protocol with some serious issues, but it does Just Work under most circumstances. It's a bit crunchy if you don't have much single-core CPU speed to throw at it though, so be aware of that in case of slowdown.