No configured interfaces... / No access to webgui

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddytheflow

Cadet
I've been google searching for the past few days using the title as keywords.

Was previously running Freenas 9.2.1.3 with zero problems. Decided that I would try to upgrade to 9.10 since I hadn't upgraded in a while. All went well, I just received a few alerts in the webgui, that I can't remember now. I remember vaguely looking them up and seeing that they may have been resolved by either a firmware or bios update.

My motherboard is a Supermicro X10SL7-F, i went ahead and updated the bios to version 3.0a.
The NIC is Intel® i210AT, should be supported as far as I know

Problems occurred immediately after this, notably, the title. I was/am currently not able to access the webgui at all, and after a couple re-installations I'm stuck with the startup prompt "No configured interfaces were found, try to do it manually".

First off sorry I don't know how to copy the console text, so screenshots incoming.
My first clue when i startup are the following lines:
Code:
Starting dhclient.
igb0: no link . . . . . . . . . . giving up
/etc/rc.d/dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient
Starting dhclient.
igb1: no link . . . . . . . . . . giving up
/etc/rc.d/dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient

pQRbn7T.png

I found that this might mean the NIC is not supported. I know my motherboard is a pretty popular one. Also, the NIC worked before I updated the BIOS. So I'm not sure if this is the problem or a symptom

After this, I get thrown to the console setup which tells me that.
Code:
No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually.

So of course I tried.
1.) Configure network interfaces >> Select interface 2.) igb1 >> Delete interface? n >> Reset network config? n >> Configure interface for DHCP? y >> Name? no >> ipv6? no

Afterwards all I get for my troubles is an error:
4IUDhuP.png
\

I've also tried configuring manually, and then get the prompt that I can goto the address: 192.168.1.3 to access the webgui. I try to access and then nothing loads. It's possible I've not configured it correctly, I'm pretty sure I've done it right though.

Once again sorry I'm a newb and don't know how to copy console text but I've screenshotted dmesg and ifconfig below:

UpSVPSi.jpg

AgVZAXC.png

Appreciate any input or ideas.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The problem may lie with your BIOS sttings, check and make sure your NIC ports are
enabled.
If the bios update changed some default settings, you may find that you just need to
return the settings to what was before.

Now that your FreeNAS is beyond version 9.3 you will need to update your drive
controller firmware to match the newer driver now being used in your current
FreeNAS software.
mismatch.jpg
This was one of your warnings.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...t-match-driver-version-20-for-dev-mps0.36536/
It's not recommended to run your pool with this mis-match, so you might
consider disconnecting your drives until you can resolve the network issue.

Last edited:

eddytheflow

Cadet
Thanks, BigDave,

I was actually trying that out but ran into a few issues. This definitely seems like the first logical step.
I'll reset the CMOS and give it a try. Thanks for the input!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Good luck! Over the years it's been standard practice that most board manufacturers
recommended re-setting to default as the first step before flashing the BIOS
(also saving a backup before beginning)
I will admit that recently I've had only limited exp. with the newer UEFI stuff and
don't really know what's "common practice" anymore.

eddytheflow

Cadet
Welp I'm back.

Figured I may as well post here, maybe someone can point out something obvious here i'm doing wrong.
I reset my CMOS / reset mobo to optimized defaults, removed all drives except for the USB stick (FAT32 w/ necessary files to flash to 20), F11 to boot into UEFI, and then....

pC1u0be.png

I made it this far previously and when I mounted fs0 and listed directory contents, it actually worked!
However at that point I was just checking, so I didn't even bother to do it. Now that I actually need to do it I can't even list the directory!

The only thing that sticks out to me is the fs0 with Alias ....... blk0, and also the blk0 with Alias.... fs0.
I don't know what that means or what ive messed up, but I can't see to access any files from the EFI.

Appreciate any help if I can get it.

eddytheflow

Cadet
I ended up reflashing the latest bios and then upgrading the LSI 2308 to the latest ph20.

However, the problem persists :(

I also ordered an intel NIC card just to be sure the built-ins weren't the issue, same problem.

When I try to manually assign using "Configure network interfaces", it gives me the "You may try..." the assigned IP address but then spits out some errors. I'm not sure what they mean as I couldn't find anything on google.

WSJDBxn.png

eddytheflow

Cadet
Well this is embarrassing....

I tried installing NAS4FREE to see if that would work.. I got the same problem.

Obviously a network issue.

As I pondered this I grabbed a beer and stared off into space.
Network issue...
I was staring at my wall drinking a beer wondering why the same problem persisted even after throwing in another NIC...
Has to be a network issue...
I was just staring at my router wondering what the hell was wrong...
Maybe it's my router?
And then I nearly choked on my beer when I spotted an unplugged ethernet cable.

I forgot that I unplugged a random cable because the plugs were all full up after hooking up the IPMI for upgrading purposes. I guess I chose the wrong one.
Everything works now.

And I'm an idiot.

Bob K

Cadet
I am getting this same error, everytime i boot up it states no configured network interfaces found, try to do it manually, i choose option 1 to configure network interfaces, it asks to choose inhterface which is re0, then it asks me to reset interface i choose yes it gets the ip i get this error and i can access the web gui and the server works fine, i have to do this every time i boot up, i dont know what else to try, any ideas?

Bob K

Cadet
oh yea for got to mention i was using 9.0.1 and it worked fine this is after i installed 9.10

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
What's your motherboard model?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your hardware isn't going to work. You have nvidia chipset and terrible NICs that are known to not work on freebsd.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
As I pondered this I grabbed a beer and stared off into space.
I forgot that I unplugged a random cable because the plugs were all full up after hooking up the IPMI for upgrading purposes. I guess I chose the wrong one.
Everything works now.

And I'm an idiot.
Aha, this lends truth to the philosophy that the answer is at the bottom of the bottle. May not be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... But eventually one can find it with persistence.. *** No guarantees if the *answer* is the correct one though... ;)

Bidule0hm

Bob K

Cadet
thats what i thought, it works i just have to reset the connection every time i boot, i have a gigabyte board, memory and processor that im gonna try, the board does not have nvidia chips, the only thing i see is the power supply is a 4 pin and my board is an 8 pin, i have heard it should still work, if not i will have to buy a power supply.

Bidule0hm

Bob K

Cadet
ive already read that post what i have is an AMD board, got to go with what i have.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
ive already read that post what i have is an AMD board, got to go with what i have.
Your data, your choice. Just beware that "advice" may not be presented as "nicely" if requested. ;)

P.S. It would be better to start your own thread since this one is marked "Solved".

gpsguy

According to Abit's documentation on your motherboard, the "max. memory capacity 4GB".

Given that FreeNAS' minimum RAM requirement is 8GB, FreeNAS is not a good option for your current hardware. Users running with less than the minimum have run into all sorts of issues, up to and including data loss.

Abit NF-M2S

Status
Not open for further replies.