No carrier for lagg0, however correctly setup? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHawk

Contributor
Hi guys,

I finally decided to install the latest Freenas 8.3 (coming from 8.0.2).
I wanted a clean / fresh install and I knew it wasn't going to be easy, however I have been spending the last 5 hours (almost) to get my lagg0 properly working.

For the record; with the previous installation (8.0.2) I had 3x 1 port Intel cards + 1x 2 port Intel card. I used 1 connection for WOL functions, the other 4 connections were in lagg0 and was always working perfectly.
Anyways, I got a good deal on Ebay for a Quad-port network card (Silicom PEG4BPI6-SD-RoHS) which shows up in Freenas as igb0 through igb3.

So I did a clean install of Freenas 8.3 and set everything up, however I discovered my lagg0 is not working. The only way I can connect to Freenas is through the Intel (em0) connection. When I use ifconfig it shows that lagg0 has no carrier, however everything is connected and should be working.

I really have no idea what to do. When I enter 192.168.0.100 (lagg0) I get a 404 page (I also cannot ping it), but when I use 192.168.0.101 (em0) I can access Freenas' control panel.

Can I some way test the Quad-port adapter if it's really working correctly. Or did I make a mistake settings things up? I selected LACP, because my switch supports it. But I really have no clue what to do else.

Searching on Google and reading various manuel, documents and websites also do not provide any help. And I hardly have any knowledge about FreeBSD (or Unix in general). Sigh...

I am starting to wish I never had upgraded the Freenas. I should have stayed with 8.0.2!!

Can someone please help me and tell me what to do or try...?

On a sidenote; do I need to fill anything in under Global Configuration at IPv4 Default Gateway. I currently left that empty. Hostname is freenas and domain is local (standard). I am currently pulling my hear out as you might understand... :'(

/smallupdate

I don't know if it helps, but this is what it's showing under 'Network summary"
Name IPv4 Address
em0 192.168.0.101/24
lagg0 192.168.0.100/24
Nameserver
Default route
No default route defined

/update 2

I changed the webgui address from 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.0.100 (lagg0) and now I cannot access it anymore through GUI!! :(
If I didn't regret upgrading before, now I am certainly am. Sheesh.

Maybe I should just sell this crap. I already spend to much time on this and it's getting me nowhere. Not to mention a headache....

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi HHawk,

Google doesn't return much on the Silicom card & FreeBSD, but since it looks like the 4 ports are detected I suppose it's safe to assume it does work....

That said, first thing I would do is simplify the setup. Ditch the lagg for now and get the system up on one port on the quad port. Once you see it working on one port you can focus on getting the lagg up & going.

Keep in mind you have to configure the ports on the switch to do lagg as well, just setting it up on the filer-side will result in no traffic passing over the lagged ports. What's the make & model of the switch?

Changing around the network in FreeNAS can be a bit of a pain. I've done it a few times, first making a 2 port LACP lagg and then re-doing everything on an Intel quad-port for the 2 port lagg with 2 iSCSI connections. My advice would be to keep the em card in there on a fixed address while you work on getting the quad-port going. I have had the best luck changing the networking around using the console to add & delete the interfaces, usually rebooting between changes.

-Will

HHawk

Contributor
Hi Will...

Thanks for your answers. I decided to reinstall the "old" intel cards which I used for LACP (2x 1-port and 1x 2-port). I know for a fact that they worked. So I will give this a go first and report back later.

Oh and by the way; when I took out the Quad-port card, it was really, really hot...
I am really starting to think it's a bogus card. Also when I turned of LACP on my switch for the 4-ports which were connected to the Quad-port card, every connection went down...? :S

Anyways, lets see what happens with the intel cards instead. I don't know much about Freenas or FreeBSD, but I do know how to get LACP / FreeNAS working together (normally)....

Oh and one more thing; I noticed also another thing which I found weird... If I looked in my switch and did the cable tester on the Quad-port; 2 ports would show <50 mtr. and the other 2 ports would say 50-80 mtrs. while the cable length is the same! And I just checked with the intel cards and every port there is shown as < 50 mtr.

//update

Just reinstalled Freenas and guess what, I am getting now several IP's... So... This probably means the Quad-port card is f00ked. FFS... Wasted my f*** day thanks to that card... Argh...

Status
Not open for further replies.