Nimbus needs a partner for 100tb SSD

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Hi All,

I think the 100TB SSD that Nimbus has been trying to find a solution to should be mated with TrueNAS 12. The combo of TrueNAS 12 and dRAID should be an easy sell to the higher end customers.

Why? Because when TrueNAS is doing the Data Scrubbing and Resilvering it does not mean all 100tb of SSD blocks need to be read in and checked if only 10tb of data is on the volume. Traditional RAID cards will most likely NEVER be able to use 100TB SSD drives unless they add dRAID. So there is a window where iXsystems can execute this before the hardware vendors get dRAID.

This partnership would allow Nimbus to get beyond big data... As I understand it Big Data is one application for the 100TB SSD and there are not many other use cases. Go look at Nimbus' web site and you see nothing in the news for years.... Maybe they have gone under and we all just don't know it yet.

Thanks,
Joe

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Right now, we prefer many 7.6TB SSDs for high capacity flash systems. We can deliver 200TB in a very high performance 2U all-flash system,

If you need even higher density or capacity flash storage, please contact us.

JoeAtWork

Contributor
All I am saying is that Nimbus looks like a fish out of water. the need press releases and it might be a good fit, secretly if they are not good I can see why iXsystems would just ignore them.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
A 100T SSD would have a very limited market of potential buyers; that's a lot of data to risk to a single device. It certainly solves the IOPS/GB challenge neatly, but most high-capacity workflows like long-term archiving or near-line storage are still far more economically served by spinning disk.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There’s really only two industries that need that amount of high-capacity SSD with insane IOPS:
  1. CGI rendering- this would be good scratch space for rendering at 64k.
  2. Scientific computing- high performance storage for exascale computing needing a large data set unified on a single scratch volume.
Even in these industries, using multipath IO to aggregates of smaller volumes presenting a single virtual volume is likely cheaper and better for data safety. Unfortunately, this product appears to be a technological dead end.

NickF

Guru
At work I actually resurrected a Nimbus SAN that died with FreeNAS lol.

The Nimbus originally had really crummy consumer OCZ flash in it, I think it had first generation Intel flash chips. No PLP or capacitors or overprovisioning on the disks. It was all in a rebadged Supermicro chassis though.

Now granted that was a first generation system and we're talking about some weird Frankenstein creation they have...but I think there is a reason they are the only ones doing it...

I'm not sure IX would benefit from partnering with a company that would sell consumer storage in a fancy box and call it Enterprise, though.

Last edited:

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Well I guess everyone so far has indicated why Nimbus has not had any announcements in years. LOL