nginx on localhost only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokan

Dabbler
I'd like the web server to listen only on localhost but I don't see a way to do that with the web GUI. In the GUI I see only a few choices, 0.0.0.0 and the IP addresses of each of my three interfaces.

If I can't do it with the GUI, then I can use the config file, but if possible I'd like to do it "properly" and use the GUI for this.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What web sever are you referring to?

hokan

Dabbler
nginx -- isn't that what runs the web GUI?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. The web GUI should be available via it's IP address on your local network already.

hokan

Dabbler
For security, I don't want it available on the local network, but only on localhost (127.0.0.1). Then I can use ssh tunneling to surf to the GUI.

hokan

Dabbler
More than a bit roundabout, but here's what I did to get this working:

1. Add an alias to an interface with my desired IP address (not 127.0.0.1, but some otherwise unused address).

2. set up an ssh connection with a tunnel to localhost on the FreeNAS box
  3. Example: ssh -L 8001:freenas-host-1:80 root@freenas-host-1.enet.umn.edu

4. Configure the web GUI to listen on the IP address you added as an alias.
  5. the GUI stops working now so reconnect to localhost:8001

6. Manually add an alias with the same IP address as in step 1 to the lo interface

7. Remove the alias added in step 1.

8. In the GUI add a startup command to add an alias to the lo interface as you manually added above.

So this lets me use, not 127.0.0.1, but a different address that I added to the loopback (lo) interface.

hokan

Dabbler
Well, this wasn't working out too well. Nginx was making me log in every few minutes or seconds; I don't know why.

I realized that the ipfw firewall is enabled on the system so I'm just using that instead -- only permitting ports for http and https from particular clients that only administrators can log onto. Much simpler this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.