NFS Performing better than ISCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Was hoping for a bit of insight into the following issue, if some kind soul could help a noob out :D

Specs:
Dell R510
2 x E5645 6 Core (HT enabled) at 2.4GHz
16GB RAM
8 x 2TB WD Red RAIDz2
Perc H310 in IT mode aka LSI 9211-8i
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb SFP+ card
Freenas 11.1-U4

I have 2 ESXI 6.5 hosts on Dell R420's connected directly (no switch) with Fiber cables.

I know my disk configuration isn't optimal for this configuration, this is merely just playing around with different configurations to learn and to use as a datastore occasionally, this isn't the main purpose of this Freenas at all. I ran bonnie++ in a jail on the disks and was able to get 730MB/s write and 1500MB/s read using that benchmark. Its a benchmark I know but thought it might at least provide some context.

I created a specific dataset for VM's and made sure sync writes were off for this test (I do not have a proper SSD that is suitable for the task) setup an ISCSI datastore and try to vMotion to and from that datastore and was getting say average of 250MB/s which I was happy enough with. I did this several times moving it around and gives me pretty much the same results.

Then out of interest I created an NFS datastore, set the amount of servers to 32 (I saw this was the setting someone else on the forum with very similar hardware was using) and again tried to vMotion. This time I get around 330MB/s which is actually the max speed of the array on my R420 so I was very happy with this result but also confused.

Anyways I went off to do some other work for a couple hours and came back to it, vMotion to the ISCSI datastore but this time I'm getting like 80MB/s, several times I tested and always getting this?? On the final test, I cancelled the vMotion halfway through and immediately did a vMotion to the NFS datastore, once again instantly jumps to the 330MB/s I had before. Then I copied back and tried to move it to the ISCSI datastore and again around 80MB/s.

Anyone any idea what is going on here and how to improve? The only reason for wanting to use ISCSI was the VAAI support on FreeNAS but not a big deal.

Again I know my setup isn't ideal but I'm just trying to learn what is going on is all!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.