NFS and SMB - how to choose when drive mapping

Hominid999

Cadet
Hey folks... I searched for answers on this but can't find anything. Hopefully someone here has some wisdom to share:

Our FreeNAS server (version 11.1.U7) shares out the same directory using both SMB and NFS. Is there a way to force my Windows Server 2019 server to map a drive using NFS as opposed to SMB? It seems to default to SMB, as it requires user authentication despite having installed the NFS client on the Windows server. I'm not sure if this is a FreeNAS or Windows configuration issue.

We'd like to change our security model so that users on the Windows box don't have to authenticate; just simply map a drive regardless of UID and GID. This will theoretically negate having to coordinate passwords between all the servers our users have accounts on.

Or am I asking the wrong question? ;-)

Thanks in advance...

--jim

RickH

Explorer
Our FreeNAS server (version 11.1.U7) shares out the same directory using both SMB and NFS

While I can't comment directly on your question of forcing Windows to use NFS - I would strongly recommend against this configuration!

SMB and NFS use different methods of locking files - enabling both protocols on the same folder and then having multiple end users access those shares is asking for data corruption.