Nextcloud setup with manual install script - DDNS issue

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
Hello,

I am trying to use the script https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-nextcloud but running into some issues setting up my ddns.

Followed the prerequisites, I registered a domain name at EasyDNS, I then setup Cloudflare, told EasyDNS to use Cloudflare for DNS for my domain. Next I signed up for DNS-O-Matic and configure it to update your Cloudflare DNS .

At this point, since I dont have a static IP, which one of these do I setup a DDNS at ? It was super simple at No-IP and I could setup a DDNS Client within pfsense. When I try to do that in pfsense I get IP of 0.0.0.0

Not sure really what to do next ?
Help Please

gdog0

Dabbler
At this point, since I don't have a static IP, which one of these do I setup a DDNS at ? It was super simple at No-IP and I could setup a DDNS Client within pfsense. When I try to do that in pfsense I get IP of 0.0.0.0

Not sure really what to do next ?
Help Please
Do you have pfsense? I use Dynamic DNS in pfsense to talk directly to Cloudflare, works great. I also use pfsense to handle the certs via Acme and HAProxy to direct traffic.

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
Yeah finally got that part working, pfsense Dynamic DNS to Cloudflare. I finally got ACME working cert. But still cant get it to work.

Not sure I have cloudflare set up correctly

When I just do port forward to WAN to my Nextcloud not getting anything.

Last edited:

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
success! on the LAN side, now working on the WAN side. This is what I have so far.

Couple of things I changed.
1. Turned off my DDNS on pfsense for Cloudflare.
2. Used DNS-O-Matic. There are 4 options: Email (your Cloudflare email), API Token (Cloudflare Global Key), Hostname (your domain name), Domain (here I used dynamic)

1584689447108.png

2. I updated Cloudflare to reflect this:

Create A type, use dyamic for name, and on Content your DDNS IP address

1584689751000.png

Created a DNS Resolver in pfSense: Because my domain name is homelanddz.com I dont have a hostname, so that was left blank. Might be able to add a host onto this on a CNAME on cloud

ServicesDNS / Resolver / General Settings
1584690071423.png

All checks out:
1584689890397.png

Now I am suppose to remove the staging cert ?

You have obtained your Let's Encrypt certificate using the staging server.
This certificate will not be trusted by your browser and will cause SSL errors
when you connect. Once you've verified that everything else is working
correctly, you should issue a trusted certificate. To do this, run:
iocage exec nextcloud /root/remove-staging.sh

Thanks all for you help.

Last edited:

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
Not working, not sure what the issue is, something between EasyDNS, Cloudflare, DNS-O-Matic and my ISP and maybe pfsense. Not really sure what to do next. If some has this set could they please contact me and me start to eliminate possibilities out there. I am just not sure I have any of these setup correctly. Totally frustrated.

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
I ended up getting it. It was a combination of removing some old DNS pointers at OpenDNS, and setting up EasyDNS and Cloudflare up.

Thanks