NextCloud installation not generating Username and Password

drwoodcomb

Explorer
The tutorials I have seen online say that after the plugin installs I should be given a generated database username and password. After the plugin installs I don't get one and I have no idea how to fix this issue.

Here is the output I do get:

Plugin installed successfully
Install Notes:
nginx_enable: -> YES
mysql_enable: -> YES
php_fpm_enable: -> YES
Performing sanity check on nginx configuration:
Starting nginx.
Performing sanity check on php-fpm configuration:
Starting php_fpm.
Starting mysql.
Stopping php_fpm.
Waiting for PIDS: 9090.
Starting php_fpm.
Stopping nginx.
Waiting for PIDS: 9071.
Starting nginx.
Admin Portal:
http://192.168.1.223

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are you using FreeNAS 11.1 as indicated in your signature? If so, that could explain the discrepancy. In 11.2, you'll get credentials to finish setting up the Nextcloud installation. Or you could try using my script instead.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
Are you using FreeNAS 11.1 as indicated in your signature? If so, that could explain the discrepancy. In 11.2, you'll get credentials to finish setting up the Nextcloud installation. Or you could try using my script instead.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I need to update my signature since my setup has changed since then. I can confirm I am on 11.2 but I for some reason dont get a username or password.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
What do you get when you browse to the Nextcloud jail?

The management page shows up but since I don’t have the username and password I can’t get any further

drwoodcomb

Explorer
Screen shot?

I’m currently at work but I’m going to put a bunch up as soon as I get home. Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it

danb35

Hall of Famer
This is the normal Nextcloud login page:
1564607422447.png

The "finish setup" page looks like this:
1564607754326.png

...and it looks like iX have made the plugin even worse than the half-baked mess it previously was, by no longer showing you the database credentials you need (you create the admin account with any username/password you want up top, but need to enter the proper database credentials below). It's not like they've been sitting on a pull request for over two months that would completely resolve this or anything...

You'll find the credentials inside the jail, so run iocage console nextcloud followed by cat /root/PLUGIN_INFO.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
This is the normal Nextcloud login page:

...and it looks like iX have made the plugin even worse than the half-baked mess it previously was, by no longer showing you the database credentials you need (you create the admin account with any username/password you want up top, but need to enter the proper database credentials below). It's not like they've been sitting on a pull request for over two months that would completely resolve this or anything...

You'll find the credentials inside the jail, so run iocage console nextcloud followed by cat /root/PLUGIN_INFO.

Yea, that's what it looked like for me! I don't know why they removed it from the Install Notes. Or at the very least they could have mentioned where to find it in the install notes. Thanks for your help. I can't wait to get back home and see if I can find it in PLUGIN_INFO. I think I recall seeing that file was I was poking around in the jail. Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't know why they removed it from the Install Notes.
It looks like they're moving toward a system where you'll be able to view that through the GUI at any time, which is nice, but until that context menu is implemented they shouldn't have removed the information that was already there.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
It looks like they're moving toward a system where you'll be able to view that through the GUI at any time, which is nice, but until that context menu is implemented they shouldn't have removed the information that was already there.

I got it up and running now! Thanks again for your help

seltz

Dabbler
For those installing nextcloud onto a freenas and looking for the starting password in 2022 ( TrueNAS-12.0 ), while the advice by @danb35 of "run `iocage console nextcloud` followed by `cat /root/PLUGIN_INFO.`" works, there's also the Post Install Notes button which shows this - you may have to scroll horizontally to notice it.

Untitled.png

TNoob

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm completely new to True NAS (and noob in linux also) but am very ambitious and wanted to make use of my unused little PC as a NAS. I've set up the system approx. 80-90%, but I'm struggling with my Nextcloud plugin installation right from the start. However I could finally get to the point when I click on Nexclouds' Web portal button and it opens up the Nextcloud sign in page. Unfortunately I didn't see anywhere the generated username and password for it and can't find it anywhere neither. I've been searching for clues in this forum also but none of the solutions worked for me.

First i tried to open the Post Install Notes, but in my version (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2) can't find it anywhere:
1699456733991.png

Tried Logs also but couldn't find any username or password in there.

Second I tried to open Nextclouds' Shell to search there, but ran into errors and couldn't do there anything.
1699456880250.png

1699456911155.png

1699456975428.png

Third I tried to find the PLUGIN_INFO file manually browsing the files from the PC's TrueNAS console with still no success.

Any suggestions or clues what did I miss or where did I go wrong would help me very much.

Thanks!

asap2go

Patron
Hi all,

I'm completely new to True NAS (and noob in linux also) but am very ambitious and wanted to make use of my unused little PC as a NAS. I've set up the system approx. 80-90%, but I'm struggling with my Nextcloud plugin installation right from the start. However I could finally get to the point when I click on Nexclouds' Web portal button and it opens up the Nextcloud sign in page. Unfortunately I didn't see anywhere the generated username and password for it and can't find it anywhere neither. I've been searching for clues in this forum also but none of the solutions worked for me.

First i tried to open the Post Install Notes, but in my version (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2) can't find it anywhere:
View attachment 72193

Second I tried to open Nextclouds' Shell to search there, but ran into errors and couldn't do there anything.
View attachment 72194
View attachment 72195
View attachment 72196

Third I tried to find the PLUGIN_INFO file manually browsing the files from the PC's TrueNAS console with still no success.

Any suggestions or clues what did I miss or where did I go wrong would help me very much.

Thanks!
admin
changeme
Are the standard credentials. You usually set them when configuring the app before installing.
If you click on edit you can also change them afterwards I believe.
At least that's for the official app. True charts version may differ.

Last edited:

victort

Guru
Hi all,

View attachment 72193

View attachment 72194
View attachment 72195
View attachment 72196

Thanks!
You are using SCALE here, which is different than the CORE version.

SCALE has apps, CORE has jails/plugins.

asap2go

Patron
You are using SCALE here, which is different than the CORE version.

SCALE has apps, CORE has jails/plugins.
Ah, my mistake.
But then it's best to go for dan's script instead of the officially deprecated plugin.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@TNoob When you deploy the application you set the username and password according to your preferences:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-08 um 20.29.29.png

What happens if you don't I don't know. There might be some default but if this is a fresh installation, why don't you just delete and start over?

Last edited:

TNoob

Cadet
Hi again,

My nickname speaks for itself... :smile:

I've changed the changeme password a bit and forgot about it completely, but it works now, thank you all for the fast answers.