NextCloud HTTPS

Theilo

Cadet
Hello there.

I'm currently trying to get https running on my FreeNAS NextCloud plugin.
It's so far up and running and reachable from outside.

Specs:
8GB of Ram
FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1
Intel(R) Celeron(R) J4105 CPU @ 1.50GHz (4 cores)

--
I have no idea how to start.
Do i need to run letsencrypt inside the Plugin or do i have to create a different one for it?
May someone can bring up a guideline for me I'd be very happy.

Kind regards

garm

Wizard
My personal favorite is setting up nginx as a reverse proxy and using let’s encrypt certificates, but there are other ways as well. If you run Nextcloud on Apache you can have Apache handle the certificates as well. It’s all documented on the forum and over at google. For issuing certificates I personal use https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
I'm pretty terrible at figuring stuff out on my own but can follow a step by step tutorial like no one's business.
Let's say that I am running FreeNAS 11.2-U3 and I just freshly installed the plugin via iocage... Now what?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
Ok cool. Did that, ran the script with a selfsigned cert option but I can't access the nextcloud GUI... "This site can't provide a secure connection". Or if I try from HTTP "site not served on this interface". Suggestions?

danb35

Hall of Famer
This site can't provide a secure connection
Certificate errors are to be expected when you're using a self-signed cert. You should be able to bypass them, though the details vary depending on your browser.

Edit: you'll also need to connect using the hostname you gave the jail; Caddy isn't configured to listen to the IP address without it.

Last edited:

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
Ooooh. That makes sense then... How do I edit the hostname that works with it?
Under /use/local/www/nextcloud/config/config.php ? I see a line in there That might make sense

Edit: I just tried reinstalling twice, setting the hostname to nextcloud (didn't work) and nextcloud.workgroup (also didn't work). Ammo doing something wrong here?

Last edited:

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
When I type in my browser "HTTPS://nextcloud" it comes up with "nextcloud's server IP address could not be found". And when I type in HTTPS://(privateip) It says "This site can't provide a secure connection".

I also cannot ping nextcloud fr anywhere, even from the FreeNAS shell.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
nextcloud's server IP address could not be found
Sounds like you need to fix that then. But further discussion of the use of my script should probably be on that thread rather than here.