NextCloud fresh install problem

airbornespoon

Dabbler
Brand new install of Nextcloud on my Freenas server and it opens but i cant figure out how to get nextcloud working? I get this error when i try to finish the setup.
The username and password i tried is the one i made so i can access the files on windows from various computers on my network. Should i be using a different one? Also the location for the data folder is the address i used for finding the folder on windows, should that be different? I looked at the nextcloud documentation for this and its not very helpful on the subject.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 540

Heracles

Wizard
Hi Spoon,

It looks like you are confused between many components here...

1-You should not point Nextcloud's Data directory to any path already containing data, unless they were managed by another Nextcloud you are migrating
2-The UID password asked for is the one for the database, not for an SMB share
3-Itself, that UID / Password is not the same as the one for Nextcloud's admin account

So you need to point your Nextcloud Data directory to an empty path, you need to create a Nextcloud admin account and you need to provide your Nextcloud server with the credentials and network patch for it to reach the database (or use the default local SQLite database if you wish and do not plan to scale that much)

Overall, I recommend you to read more about Nextcloud, its architecture and design, as well as doing some tests with meaningless data before moving to prod and main usage.

Good luck with your setup,

samuel-emrys

Contributor
I wrote a guide on how to install Nextcloud from the ground up in it's own jail, you might find it useful even if you choose to use a different installation method. I make an effort to explain what each step does, so you should be able to discern what's going on and what needs to be done. This is the thread for my guide, or see my signature. Hope this helps.