Newbie looking for easy to use central User Management

memyselfundnas

Dabbler
Hi!

I´m tinkering around my first freenas build, (https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/my-post-synology-build-first-freenas-build.74063/ ) and I am really loving the freenas experience. But I´m still having issues with the day to day stuff. I´m coming from synology so if I added a user there, it automatically had a radius account (wlan access..) cloud account, and access to shares on the file share part.

So yeah I could just install a windows server and run a AD. but I was hoping that there was something similar to the synology solution out there, as it offers enough for what I needed. I might switch over to an AD install at a later date, but now I just want something to get my users away from the synology so I can switch it off ;) What is easiest way for a centralized user management for Freenas Shares, Nextcloud and if possible radius access?

Thanks alot for you help!

artlessknave

Wizard
freenas/BSD tends to follow the UNIX "one program for each task"; synology and similar try and be "all for one and one for all".
i haven't tried it but I believe you can use smb in freenas to create an AD domain, but I'm not sure how that integreates with other services - probably not as much as synology.