Newbie Guide to FreeNAS, Plex, CouchPotato, Sickbeard , and Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not to bash your guide, but setting guest permissions for files is a very dangerous game. Sure, it's got a high degree of probability that it will work(if you don't have permissions in the way it'll always work!) but it also sets you up for potential serious problems later.

Supa

Patron
Not to bash your guide, but setting guest permissions for files is a very dangerous game. Sure, it's got a high degree of probability that it will work(if you don't have permissions in the way it'll always work!) but it also sets you up for potential serious problems later.

Noted... I just posted for anyone else that might like it. I figured if I could get it working the easy way I can slowly add more secure user permissions later. I'm don't really know what "serious problems" you're referring to though.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uh... anyone that can access your files from guest will have said permissions! That means that if I brought my laptop over to your house I could conceivably delete your files since I don't need to authenticate. No joke, there are viruses and stuff out there that actually *look* for that kind of stuff just to delete it.

Supa

Patron
Uh... anyone that can access your files from guest will have said permissions! That means that if I brought my laptop over to your house I could conceivably delete your files since I don't need to authenticate. No joke, there are viruses and stuff out there that actually *look* for that kind of stuff just to delete it.

I use "Hosts Allow" to only allow my Phone / Computer on the network to access my share. But I'm guessing that isn't that secure.... I need a month probably of peace of mind before I start adding passwords. I know it shouldn't be too hard though. I had it somewhat running before.

Dino85253

Cadet
Supa,

THANK YOU! For posting the easy to follow guide... What a great idea, show a newbie each step of the way with pictures of which boxes are checked and unchecked. I am a newbie to FreeNAS like you, just trying to get a small system up and running to store local windows backups on and run PLEX for my house. I spent less that 45 minutes building machine and installing FreeNAS, logged in from windows machine and then... I spent 12 + hours of my spare time over the last 2 weeks trying to get the shares configured and seen by my windows machines...

I have to say was more than frustrated and discouraged trying follow the confusing and mostly incomplete setup steps over... and over... and over... and over... and over... (you get the point) only to have it fail or not work somewhere along the line. Then I would say to myself, you did something wrong start over… I would go back to forums and do some more research and start over…

Never did it occur to me that the instructions I was following were incomplete…

I was ready to throw in the towel with FreeNAS until this morning, I was searching the forum and came across your post…. Less than 15 minutes after reading your post I could see my new share on my windows machines!!! …I have completed my first back up in the time it took me to write this post…

Kudos to you for the post! Thanks Again!

NOTE: I think it is truly ionic that the moderator with the mean snarling dog picture scolds you for the safety issues of your post yet says nothing about the brilliance of it…

He should move your post the TOP of the newbie page and make it part of the quick start guide!

Had he done that, I could have spent 15 minutes configuring FreeNAS and the rest of time learning about network security….

Lusca

Dabbler
Hi.. Nice guide thank you !
But im getting permission denied to my /media/Complete folder in transmission..
Also same in Sickbeard for postprocessing .
Ive chmod /media/Complete and /media/TV to 777 .. and owner on sick is nobody/nogroup..
same for trans folders..

Dont understand how that could give permission error....
I have even chmod the jails folder Complete/Incomplete/TV

---
sabnzbd is working fine..........

dkran

Dabbler
Hi.. Nice guide thank you !
But im getting permission denied to my /media/Complete folder in transmission..
Also same in Sickbeard for postprocessing .
Ive chmod /media/Complete and /media/TV to 777 .. and owner on sick is nobody/nogroup..
same for trans folders..

Dont understand how that could give permission error....
I have even chmod the jails folder Complete/Incomplete/TV

---
sabnzbd is working fine..........

@Lusca, here's what you do. you have to chown -R 921:921 torrentfolder/path

This is the transmission user. Now what I did is I made another group in freenas, and I called it transmission, and I made the gid 921. Then I went to my media user, and in "other groups" at the bottom, I added transmission by clicking >> on it. Then transmission could write to the folder, and the media user could read/write the transmission folder also.

edit: So you can do this whole thing without adding a user, just a group.

forfiter

Dabbler
I had no issues setting up my couch potato & transmission jails, however, I cant seem to do two things:

* stop transmission from seeding entirely and immediately complete the work after download is finished (send information to couchpotato to use renamer to download subtitles and move the content)
* instruct couchpotato/transmission to download maximum X movies at once and queue any others, and then process the queue once a download is finished - it seemed like it was working first, but after some time all torrents with status of 'queued' started downloading at once, increasing the download time for individual torrents

Any clues?

diedrichg

Wizard
Awesome! Thanks! subscribed

JKman

Explorer
i would appreciate if someone could make an addendum to this that is slightly more secure.

i am about to set this up soon and would love to do it right the first time. thanks in advance!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
JKman: The reason why there isn't really a guide for permissions is that it's something that the server owner has to manage appropriately. As such, some cookbook guide is never going to be anything remotely close to "best case". Best case is to learn about permissions and apply them yourself.

That's why there's about 1000 unanswered threads in this forum all titled "need help with permissions". You just can't learn it from a forum post or two, and those of us with experience don't want to dedicate a significant part of our lives to teaching others how to do it. ;)

DrMacabre

Dabbler
Hello,

After several weeks of use, i still have one problem with Sick Beard post processing, i always have to set permissions manually in the download folder in order to have the files moved when processed. I don't see where the permissions are set when something is downloaded. I don't have this problem with Couch Potato.

Thanks.

JKman

Explorer
sickbeard setup for usenet or torrent? same question for couchpotato. that will tell you where to look next :P

nunavat2012

Dabbler
Thank you Supa for the guide. I have a NFS share but your guide was very helpful in setting it up. I put all four and sabnzbd in one jail. I used your instructions and modified a little to get sickbeard torrent version running; as that version doesn't exist on git, or I do not know how to get it.

I entered following commands in that order in the jail shell
  1. service sickbeard stop
  2. pkg install git nginx python
  3. rm -r /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard/Sick-Beard /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/etc/sickbeard/*
  4. git clone https://github.com/danielthor/sickbeard-orange.git /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard/Sick-Beard
  5. chown -R media:media /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard/*
  6. service sickbeard start

nunavat2012

Dabbler
One more thing, I couldn't get transmission 2.82 working so, I just installed 2.77_1

PS: I hope, I am not stepping on somebody's toes.

DrMacabre

Dabbler
Hi,

Nunavat2012 : Perhaps you could have read the part called "Sickbeard Setup (Torrent Version):" in the first post ;)

Btw i found out what was my problem with permissions always returning error 13 when post-processing. I noticed it was working fine with newly added show but i was getting error 13 in every old show i already had in my pool and just scanned when i first used sick beard.

I simply had to delete each show from sick beard and re add them as if they were not in my pool, Sick beard would notice me the folder already exist and simply use it for future destination when post processing. And no error 13 this time.

Voilà.

merci beaucoup.

nunavat2012

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.